Alternative seat for 79SF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative seat for 79SF

Hi, new to the site and to the XS11. I have carried out a search for this info but can’t find what I’m looking for so hope I’m not wasting peoples time by asking this
    I have just picked up a 1979 SF model that has a very high backed King / Queen seat with sissy bar and rear rack. I cover has a small tear and I don’t really like the seat so wonder if anyone can advise what seats from other models will fit the SF? I think a 1980 midnight special may be a good option but any advise would be welcome.
    If I am stuck with this one could someone advise if this was a standard Yam seat and if it is possible to get replacement covers anywhere?

Many thanks

First let me say Welcome the the fold.

Your high backed seat is not a standard design by any means. If it doesn't suit you there are a few riders who prefer them.

You may be able to work out a trade with someone who has an original seat. The seat pans are pretty year specific. Others here know better than I which, if any years crossover.

Post a photo of your seat in the parts to sell forum and hang on.

Look forward to seeing some pics of your bike.

Rodger
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Get it recovered....

I had the same issue, I bought mine and had a big step up for the "queen". I tooko it to some hole in the wall auto trim place and the guy recovered it for $100. I found out that mine had already been modified by simply cutting down the foam.

So we used the same foam and reshaped it. He just used a waterski seat material to recover it so it would be waterproof and a bit stretchy. I really like it, it looks modern; but if I had to do it again I may have looked into getting a fiberglass fairing. You will want to recover because I suppose your pan is probably in decent shape and they are not that interchangeable. I definitely wanted two seats for the ladies....i never have understood having a single seat bike...why have a bike??

Careful not to cut the foam too thin...

oh and welcome to the best place on the internet!

forgive the missing sidecover...
      1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

Welcome to XS11.

Sounds like you have an aftermarket seat. Unfortunately, I believe you have the most limited options available. The 79 special had a unique seat to that year and model IIRC.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Just found pic on the site

Just found a photo of the type of seat I have. On the members photos (page 3) CA.XSer seems to have the same seat.

Comment

and

oh and my response is all under the condition that you can/want to take all the "extra" bars and stuff off...if not then disregard my advice
            1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

If the HighBack Offends Thee.....

Yeah...the highback seat/sissy bar isn't for everyone. But if you're stuck with it then getting it recovered isn't such a big deal.

Before:

After:

Installed:

Rear View:

$150 to get it recovered after a long search to find someone who wouldn't gouge me $500.

Highback is like a sore thumb that sticks out and makes life awkward at times. But if you decide to share the ride with a lady then I've got nothing but good feedback from them.

Comment

Originally posted by duds View Post
                - - - I have just picked up a 1979 SF model that has a very high backed King / Queen seat with sissy bar and rear rack. I cover has a small tear and I don’t really like the seat so wonder if anyone can advise what seats from other models will fit the SF? I think a 1980 midnight special may be a good option but any advise would be welcome.
                If I am stuck with this one could someone advise if this was a standard Yam seat and if it is possible to get replacement covers anywhere? - - -
                Hi Duds and welcome,
                yeah, my XS11SG came with one of those on it, ever ucking fugly, eh?
                Had to practically twist Crazcnuk's arm before he'd accept it as a gift.
                No, it ain't stock. As I understand it, a later model XS11 Special seat will fit the SF although the SF's seat won't fit later bikes.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

79 sf seat

I still have the original seat from the day I bought mine. I didn't like it so I bought a different one and have had this one hanging on a wall for 30 years. You can have it for the cost of shipping.
                  mack
                  79 XS 1100 SF Special
                  HERMES
                  original owner
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                  SPICA
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                  IOTA
                  https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                  https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                  Frankford, Ont, Canada
                  613-398-6186

Comment

SF Seat offer

Mack,

If the seat you have is NOT high backed, then yes please can I take you up on the kind offer.
                    If you could let me know the cost I will arrange payment by whatever method is best for you.

Many thanks

Comment

Small World

Hi Duds,
                      Mr. Stupid only just noticed your location.
                      Wiltshire, eh?
                      Anywhere near Corsham where my sister lives?
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Welcome aboard Duds! Nice to see another international XSive on here.

Not to point you away from THIS site, but there is also a UK version, where you might be able to find some local help if needed.
                        Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Wiltshire, eh?
                        Anywhere near Corsham where my sister lives?
                        According to Google, It's about 40 minutes away.
                        Last edited by CatatonicBug; 03-01-2010, 10:33 AM.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                          Yeah, but looking it up on Google does not create a conversation or a point of mutual interest.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                            Hi 'Bug,
                            um, Wiltshire is a County while Corsham is a town therein.
                            The route shown on the map is to Corsham from Cheverell Parva which is perhaps Wiltshire's geographic centre but if Duds lives there it's a pure coincidence.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                              Hi 'Bug,
                              um, Wiltshire is a County while Corsham is a town therein.
                              The route shown on the map is to Corsham from Cheverell Parva which is perhaps Wiltshire's geographic centre but if Duds lives there it's a pure coincidence.
                              Sorry... I still don't get all the funny names on that island. All I know is I type in a word, and it points to a place. I have no way of knowing if that's the wrong place. My mom lives in Lancashire, and even the pizza delivery guy can't find her place because it does not exist on any map, even though it's been there for hundreds of years!
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X