Drive Shaft lockup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft lockup?

Has anyone here experienced it? It happened to my dad 10 years ago on his pristine 79 XS, he went round a corner after a ride through the hills and the back wheel just totally sezied up, luckily on a straight bit of road. He managed to lug the bike off to the side. The bike had only 15,000k on it and had just been serviced but apparently not enough oil/grease had been put into the drive shaft, once it was regreased it spun smoothly. I've not heard of this happening on any other bikes (except a old BMW a mate had)

Is this a common problem with the XS? Just makes me a little nervous on going around corners quick...

Was probably a lock-up of the middle drive. If you drain the fluid out of here and forget to replace it, its just a matter of time. Middle drive lockup is usually very sudden and quite spectacular.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Based on the design of the shaft, I don't see how it could lock up even if dry. It might chew the splines off the shaft, but I don't think it could lock up. But the middle drive or final drive could if allowed to run dry. It seems like with just a little bit of effort these things are pretty bullet proof.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
      X