What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
    Anyone know of any other bikes with that wheel besides the XJ and 81 MNS?
    The XJ650 that I scrapped (no motor, seat, tank) had the 'swirly' wheels like these, that's why I think that's what you have here. If you do a search for a XJ650 Maxim, all the bits match up nicely. This one may be an '80, as the '81 seems to have the leading axle forks, but who knows what's in this bikes past?

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah,

It does look like a 82 xj650
      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Here's a pic.... may be a Seca

http://xj650.com/prospekt_engl/XJ65011Np4_1151x815.jpg

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

not sure

about the actual year, but no doubt about it being an XJ650. BTW, anyone ever ride one of these? Bench report was 73 HP and 120+MPH. The same output per CC in an 1100 would be about 120HP.
          Last edited by jmnjrpa; 02-25-2010, 08:17 PM. Reason: edit
          Original except:
          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

Got a good friend who has a Maxim650, bought new year after I bought my Venturer new. Still has it, stored in his garage, hasn't ridden it in years. If and when he gets rid of it, wants me to have it to put back on the road. Also have a nefhew who rode his pretty red one here from Houston a few years back. Rode it some myself, and yes, they DO rip surprising well. Kinda like riding a smaller version of the 1100, tons of low-end, smooth all through rpm range to and above red-line! One up riding it, worked for him and he rode it up to SaltLake then all the way back to Houston. Guess it was getting him something close to 50mpg, plus he wasn't easy on it. Said he rode those distances with JimmyCarter speedo pegged most of the time. Two years ago, rode a nice one here, but passed up on buying it as I thought a grand was a bit high and seller wouldn't dicker any. Just my experience if that's any help.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have a 1983 XJ650 Maxim Great bike. That picture is too small for my weak eyes Looks like an earlier model or one of the othet small 4's
              dificult to tell a 650 and 750 apart but in 83 650 had single disc 750 double disc .
              Maxim Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                Yep, look at the fork lowers, they're center mount, unlike the Specials. Also the gir... I mean swirley wheels. Probably a smaller cc XJ.
                Girly Wheels?

Like the ones on center left of the header up there?

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  You sure John? While it's definitely a Yammy, it looks more like one of the smaller 4-cylinder, shaft-drive bikes they built. The frame shape looks a lot like an old XJ650 frame I've got laying around, the ignition cover on the motor looks small, and the gauge/headlight mount don't look like anything off an 11...

'78E original owner
                  It was far enough into the weeds I didn't really look to see if it was a shaft. The 1981 manufacture date I saw was about the only thing I could recognize near the VIN . It was a tattered sticker on the rider's left head tube.

Comment

Good try

No telling what you can find in old barns and the weeds out back. If you don't look you won't. That's where it is best to get the VIN cause it says it all.
                    Last edited by jmnjrpa; 02-26-2010, 07:02 AM. Reason: added
                    Original except:

Big John

Comment

Honda4, some 81 XS's and some XJ's use the swirley wheels, I like the early straight mag wheels myself, (right center of header) JMPP.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Would have to agree that it is probably a smaller XJ. '81 build year puts it in as an '82 model. It is not an 1100 as front forks and gauge cluster are not from the 1100. Also, the 1100 has additional bracing welded in around the steering head, Yamaha's attempt to reduce frame flex. It looks to me like this bike does not have it, but photo is not real clear on this point. Pipes look to be in the wrong place in the sense that the 1100 XJ had the wider engine due to the alternator difference, and as a result Yamaha routed the pipes a little wider on the XJ1100. To me the pipes look a bit more "under the engine" in the shot.
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                        X