Advise please !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise please !!!

About a month ago I took apart the rear wheel and everything else to clean and rebuild the caliper and M/C. Now I'm having an alzheimer's moment and can't remember if it is put back correctly. The parts diagram doesn't show the bracket that holds the caliper and there's some spacers in between. Does the setup in pictures 1 and 3 look like it's supposed to go? The axle goes way in the swingarm almost that I can't put a screwdriver throught it to keep from turning while tightening the nut. Is that normal?

The nut is flush with the threads. Is this about right, or tighten more?

Do I tighten hard and then tighten the screw over the axle to set it?

79 XS1100F.
    SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
    TC's fuse box.
    SOFA filter.
    Venture cam chain adjuster.
    Tkat fork brace.
    Progressive fork springs.

From pics you got it all correct. Pretty common for the hole in axle to interfer just a tad. Can just use a smaller than the hole phillips driver to hold it stationary while tightening the nut. I kinda cheat and just LIGHTLY snug the pinch bolt, then tighten nut. Back off on the pinch bolt to allow that side to self center and retighten pinch bolt. There is a torque spec for the nut, but with a hefty pull on a break-over handle gets it pretty close and align with an easy slot for cotter pin to drop in. Seem to remember 20ftlbs on the pinch bolt, as you don't wanna over tighten and distort clamp assembly. Have nice click type torque ratchets in inch lbs and ftlbs. but common sense works on this part of scoot. By the way, nice index drilling on the rotors, a bit different configuration, but looks good.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey Tropic,

I have mine differently. The order I have, from the wheel hub out, is:

1. seal cap
      2. spacer
      3. caliper bracket
      4. caliper to swingarm brace
      5. swingarm

Leave the pinch bolt loose, and torque the nut to 76 ft-lbs. Then go back and torque the pinch bolt to 14.5 ft-lbs. Too much torque and you WILL ring it off.
      Gone but never Forgotten:
      1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
      2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
      2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Tropic-al View Post
        About a month ago I took apart the rear wheel and everything else to clean and rebuild the caliper and M/C. Now I'm having an alzheimer's moment and can't remember if it is put back correctly. The parts diagram doesn't show the bracket that holds the caliper and there's some spacers in between. Does the setup in pictures 1 and 3 look like it's supposed to go? The axle goes way in the swingarm almost that I can't put a screwdriver throught it to keep from turning while tightening the nut. Is that normal?
        Nope, not normal....

First, they're in the wrong order. It looks like what you have is 1. the wheel 2. the caliper bracket 3. spacer 4. stamped steel caliper bracket 5. chrome spacer.

Spacer 3 should be between the wheel and the caliper bracket, the chrome spacer should be between the two caliper brackets. Second, what size rear wheel do you have? A 16" or 17"? If a 'special' 16" has been swapped onto your 'standard' F, that spacer is correct. If you still have the original 17" wheel, you need one that's not as thick.

If you tightened everything down like this, check for damage; you may have sprung something.

'78E original owner
        Last edited by crazy steve; 02-24-2010, 11:16 PM.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Oops. Those are Special specs.

For the Standard, its 104 on the nut and 4.5 on the pinch bolt.
          1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by skippy344 View Post
            Oops. Those are Special specs.
            There's also a different combo of parts on the standard; it has a spacer your special doesn't.

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Yeah, sorry, I didn't know that Standards have an additional spacer. The picture in my manual is not very clear.

And its 108 on the nut, not 104.
              1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Al, the more I look at your pics and comparing it to the parts drawing, the less sure I am you have the right parts, much less in the right order. It looks like you're missing the chrome spacer altogether and somebody has substituted something else. From the wheel out, you should have:

1. Dust cover/spacer. This fits 'into' the wheel bearing. If you have the OEM 17" wheel, it should be .100" tall above the dust shield. If you have a Special 16" wheel, it should be .410" tall.

2. Caliper bracket.

3. Chrome spacer (only if you have a standard; NA on the special). This is .475" thick. I'm sure somebody can fix you up with the right part.

4. steel caliper 'torque plate'.

Your axle should be 12.75" long; if what you have is shorter, somebody has swapped parts.

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Thank you all for the usual replies.
                  Steve, from your comments:
                  [QUOTE] It looks like you're missing the chrome spacer altogether and somebody has substituted something else. From the wheel out, you should have:
                  1. Dust cover/spacer. This fits 'into' the wheel bearing.
                  2. Caliper bracket.
                  3. Chrome spacer (only if you have a standard; NA on the special).
                  4. caliper 'torque plate'.
                  I have the dust cover over the bearing/seal, then the caliper bracket. The next spacer is not chrome, but is there before the torque plate. The chrome that might be seen in the pics between the torque plate and the frame is the thick part of the axle going through the swing arm and butting against the torque plate. Everything you call for is there in the same order. Just think the pictures don't show it well. It spins freely, brakes well, etc. So, I must say it has to be OK now. Thanks again for your input.
                  79 XS1100F.
                  TC's fuse box.
                  SOFA filter.
                  Tkat fork brace.

Comment

The correct Standard spacer should be 12mm wide, not including the shoulder.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

While I cant comment on the proper order of this...I do believe when I dis-assemble something like this, to arrange the parts in order as they were when assembled. That way you dont have to remember much especially if it stays dis-assembled for a while.
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Thanks to all

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        The correct Standard spacer should be 12mm wide, not including the shoulder.
                        Thanks Phil, measured it and it's correct. It is all original parts, the problem was the correct placement of parts. I think it is OK now as everything works as it should. Bled brakes last night and rode it.

Max : You're right. Should have done it that way. But you know the reality of things. Didn't think it would take a month to put back together and so the mind doesn't want to cooperate like before.
                        Thanks again.
                        79 XS1100F.
                        TC's fuse box.
                        SOFA filter.
                        Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Maybe someone covered this, but you need to rotate the wheel back and forth while pushing it in to fully engage in into the splines of the final drive.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                          X