Stripped head on set screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped head on set screw

I'm not sure that's what you call them, but the bolt that has an inset hex head that takes an Allen wrench to loosen or tighten it anyway...the head on the one at the front of the left side rail on my XJ is stripped and I can't get the sucker to loosen so I can take the side rail off. Anybody got a good way to remove one that you can't get to the round head with vice grip pliers on?
    1982 XJ1100J; 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50
    Athens GA

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

I'm not too sure what you mean by "rail" but there are some universal truths to freeing stuck fasteners.

First thing I would do is set the wrench in there that is supposed to fit and give it a couple raps straight in with a hammer to maybe free up the screw. To clarify. Hit the top of the screw a couple sharp blows. Make sure the screw doesn't have a bunch of crud in the bottom of the head where the wrench is supposed to go. If it does clean it out and then give the screw a rap or two or three.

That being done you might try getting an inch sized wrench that is a fraction larger than the striped screw and try driving it into the head of the screw.

If the screw head is exposed you can grab the head with a pair of vice grip pliers to turn the screw.

If the head of the screw is not set down in some aluminum part you could try some heat. Some one may have used permanent locktight.

If it still doesn't come loose, sell me the bike, ship it to California and I'll see what I can do.

A picture of the offending bolt might help.
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

A couple more options...

You could try drilling it and using an ez-out. If there is enough head exposed you might be able to use a bolt out to get it. Craftsman has some nice ones -

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I don't know what "Rail" he's talking about either, but you can also use a Dremmel with a cutting wheel and cut a slot in the top to use a regular screwdriver on.

After that, take the 5mm allen wrench you had that is more than likely rounded on the edges also.. and either throw it away, or grind it down a little at a time so as to not get too hot and remove the temper, up past the rounded spot.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by 1sttimeXSowner View Post
          the head on the one at the front of the left side rail on my XJ is stripped and I can't get the sucker to loosen so I can take the side rail off.
          I think he's talking about the passenger grab rail on an XJ. IIRC, this fastener is inset a bit, making it a bit harder to get at if the socket is stripped. If so, a fine diamond burr in a dremel will cut a slot in the bolt head, allowing use of a flat blade in an impact driver to get it out.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Stripped Screw

Thanks guys....Ken is exactly right concerning the rail I mentioned--it's the passenger grab rail and the screw/bolt is inset.
            Athens GA

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hmmm.. OK. Then take your SIX mm allen wrench and....

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post

Tod
                Wow, thanks TOD...that helps a lot man....
                Athens GA

Comment

A trick I've used a time or two where you have a recessed allen is to use a cheap/damaged allen wrench, insert in the fastener, then put a couple of heavy tack welds on. The heat will help loosen the screw, and you now have a handle. Of course, you throw away both items, but it's out...

To avoid arcing to something you shouldn't, cover around the area with duct tape, exposing only the bolt head.

'78E original owner
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

So, are you going to try the dremel to make a slot, then an impact driver?
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post

Tod
                      Tod likes taking 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, or who knows what size he is up to now, and..................

(he's funny that way)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                        I think he's talking about the passenger grab rail on an XJ. IIRC, this fastener is inset a bit, making it a bit harder to get at if the socket is stripped. If so, a fine diamond burr in a dremel will cut a slot in the bolt head, allowing use of a flat blade in an impact driver to get it out.
                        Thanks Ken for the advice...did what you suggested and got it off.
                        Athens GA

Comment

Working...
                        X