Possible source on stainless brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible source on stainless brake lines

What do you think y'all, is there any reason a person couldn't fab up some lines from this type of fitting on their own?

I got the image from here.

Here are the pretty stainless braided hoses you'd need. This is something I'd wondered about for a while, mostly wondering if you could use the parts on a brake system. I also thought the color would look kinda sporty too. Thanks for input.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

IIRC, the mfg of the lines are supposed to be certified by the DOT to be able to make brake lines. I may be wrong on that though.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Yeah, when I made mine up, I called around to a few hose places that make hydraulic lines. Sure they have that size line. Sure they have those 10mm fittings. What? It's going for some brakes? Nope we don't do brake lines.

C-Bug is right. It's the whole DOT thing. I just ordered the length of line I needed and the correct screw on ends. Some make kits that are probably cheaper, but mine isn't rigged up stock any more with the proportion valve gone and linked brakes gone. The line was about a buck an inch and the ends were @ $14 from my local store, which was comparable to online, but with no shipping costs.

On the subject of brakes.. Anybody seen these? How could they not get some tiny air bubbles in the lines?

Brake coupling

They just give them away almost. Everybody should have a half dozen of them on their bike!

Tod
      Last edited by trbig; 02-22-2010, 06:48 PM.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
        Here[/URL] are the pretty stainless braided hoses you'd need. This is something I'd wondered about for a while, mostly wondering if you could use the parts on a brake system. I also thought the color would look kinda sporty too. Thanks for input.
        Those lines, though they would probably work, are not officially allowed for on-road use. The description even says, "Applications include off-road brake, transmission, clutch, gauge, nitrous oxide, power steering, hydraulic and air conditioning."
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

So what's the practical meaning of "for off road use only"? Is there any "real" reason to not use it?
          1980 XS11SG

Comment

The meaning is NOT riding onto base, in your case. If the MP decides to "inspect" the bike, and you do not have the DOT tag on the lines, you don't ride. They may have changed things in the 35 years since I was in, but I don't think so. SS lines are GREAT, but for anyone who needs a yearly inspection on the bike, you WILL have to spend the extra to get the DOT lines.
            There IS one other way, but I didn't write this......
            The old rubber brake lines have a DOT band on them. IF they somehow were cut while removing them, and the band ended up on the new lines, who would know????
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

generally Security Forces don't hassle you over much of anything. . . however if you don't have a bumper you'll need to find a replacement

makes my day every time one of them sees that and smiles.
              1980 XS11SG

Comment

Working...
              X