Another shock question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another shock question....

So, I got these shocks to replace the air shocks on my XJ to lower the bike. I followed the advice of a poster replying to my question and got a pair of HD Dyna shocks the length I needed off EBay for a relatively good price--nice shiny and new and just the length to lower my bike like I intended. But when I get to installing them, everything fits fine, EXCEPT...and therein lies the problem, the lower mount on the right side is too narrow for the eye to fit...any suggestions?????
    1982 XJ1100J; 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50
    Athens GA

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

If the shock mount is too wide, you could always grind it down a little on each side utill it fits. You might have to remove the bushing first. The bushing will need shortening too. JAT
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I took the bushing out filed the sides of the mounting hole down a bit, fits good . Just touch up with paint before installing.
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
      Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

You are correct that the one stud is different. Just use the bushing from the original shock. Or use the metal center piece from the original shock and replace the rubber bushing if it is shot.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=112910
        Last edited by lakecountrydave; 02-23-2010, 05:59 AM.
        Dave
        1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Working...
        X