What's going on with my bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on with my bike?

Hello everyone I have a question. Well my bike is a 1979 xs1100 special. Well I worked on the bike and eventually got it running for a bit at least. It seemed like fuel starvation so I replaced all the fuel lines. I got it started and it ran for about 3 minutes and all of a sudden cut off. I did notice if I tried to twist the throttle the engine would try to cut off. But I looked into the exhaust ports and the left two were leaking unburned fuel. I touched them the right two holes were hot and the left two were like it never ran and cold(the ones leaking fuel). What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks for any advice or help.

Hate to say it, but it's probably time to go thru the carbs. Do you have good spark at all 4?
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yep like Bikerphil says go threw the carbs.Look up what to do with a neglected xs11 on this sight.Fallow the instructions and you'll get it going.
      Terry
      1980 special (Phyllis)
      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

If you have raw unburned fuel leaking out the exhaust at the header collars then your flooding those cylinders. So start by checking the oil as it may well be contaminated with fuel now. If so change the oil. If you can, get the front of the bike higher then the back so excess fuel will not flow into the engine. With the bike on main stand, get a board under the front wheel until the back wheel is just touching the floor / ground. This way flooding will be seen out the air box rather then through your engine. Tap on the carb bowls in case a float is fowled in one of the 2 carbs that feed those 2 cylinders. Take the bottom of the air box off so you can see what's going on in there. Also confirm that the air passage ways inside the air box are not plugged. If you have fowled float valves fuel will flow out of the intake stacks inside the air box. If fuel does flow into the air box it's time to pull the carbs and correct the carb problem.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

well thats a relief. So from what you guys are telling me it is a carb problem and not in the motor. I have went through the carbs 4 times in the last 4 months. I am closely following the steps on this forum. It seems I just haven't mastered it. I will probably get it professionally done. Does anyone know the average price to get a set of carbs done at a shop? Also I noticed the spark plugs are really black and burnt looking. Is this why the bike is so hard to start? Good information thanks fellas

Comment

Originally posted by jaimes-duran View Post
            well thats a relief. So from what you guys are telling me it is a carb problem and not in the motor. I have went through the carbs 4 times in the last 4 months. I am closely following the steps on this forum. It seems I just haven't mastered it. I will probably get it professionally done. Does anyone know the average price to get a set of carbs done at a shop? Also I noticed the spark plugs are really black and burnt looking. Is this why the bike is so hard to start? Good information thanks fellas
            Don't bother taking them to a shop. They likely have not seen carbs like these in years and many shops will charge an arm and a leg and still not solve the problem. I would suggest that you start by checking the long tubes inside the air box that the carb air vent tubes go to. See if you can push a stiff wire through these tubes. If they are blocked the carbs will not vent and they will flood every time. Those tubes in the box are small and bugs love them. also confirm that you have not mixed up the fuel supply and air vet hoses. If you have by mistake reversed them on one side flooding will happen.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

jaimes

I went through the same thing with mine.

It seems like a carb problem but it's probably ignition.

Check out the pickup coil wires inside the left engine cover. The vacuum advance will cut off the engine when you try to rev it if those wires are bad.

Take the timing cover off and start your bike if it will start. Carefully tug on those wires .....if the engine dies you've found the problem.

Or you can check them with a multi meter. Someone will chime in with the resistance specs.

LUCK!!!

Comment

MY best guess is that you have a couple things happening here that all go back to the carbs as stated.

Basically, your float needle valves are not sealing, so your flooding the carbs. The flooding is causing your mixture to be Uber-rich and the plugs to foul out which kills the cylinders and you eventually pump raw gas through the cylinders that no longer fire. This is why you get raw fuel running out of your exhaust pipes.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

With 1 and 2 HOT, and 3 and 4 COLD, IT'S CARBS, NOT IGNITION!!!. I agree with checking the vents for the carbs. The three four pair, on the right side, is probably what you are fighting. As an aside, DO get new spark plugs. Once they foul, the "spark" will flow down the carbon on the insulator, and NOT spark and fire the fuel/air mixture.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                    With 1 and 2 HOT, and 3 and 4 COLD, IT'S CARBS, NOT IGNITION!!!. I agree with checking the vents for the carbs. The three four pair, on the right side, is probably what you are fighting. As an aside, DO get new spark plugs. Once they foul, the "spark" will flow down the carbon on the insulator, and NOT spark and fire the fuel/air mixture.
                    You know Ray..... I could be wrong and it seems that nothing would make you happier.

So I hope I make you really happy.

But you know you can be wrong too and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate sacastic belittlement for your suggestions any more than I do.

Please just afford me and others the same respect you think you deserve.

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                      You know Ray..... I could be wrong and it seems that nothing would make you happier.

So I hope I make you really happy.

But you know you can be wrong too and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate sacastic belittlement for your suggestions any more than I do.

Please just afford me and others the same respect you think you deserve.

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!
                      Sorry XSokieSPECIAL, but I can't see anything in Ray's post that is sarcastic or belittleing in any way. He has highlighted and bolded the main point that it has to be carbs in this instance. I happen to agree with him myself. In fact Ray does mention the spark plugs, a part of the ignition sytem, which is in agreement with what you posted. I think maybe you have taken his post a little out of context. My 2 cents
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                        As an aside, DO get new spark plugs. Once they foul, the "spark" will flow down the carbon on the insulator, and NOT spark and fire the fuel/air mixture.
                        Uhhh.... if your cheap you can clean them.... I pull my iridium's out and clean them before every trip with the dremel using a soft brass wire wheel........

Did the in-laws plugs in their truck the same way a couple weeks ago, most fouled up plugs I've ever seen, runs like a top now. The moral of the story is don't buy the cheap grocery store gas.....
                        Last edited by Montreux_Blue; 02-21-2010, 11:04 PM.
                        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

So if you find expensive grocery store gas, that'd be OK?

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Yes...... yes it would. I'll just say they are cheaper than you think I am ok.
                            http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                              Sorry XSokieSPECIAL, but I can't see anything in Ray's post that is sarcastic or belittleing in any way. He has highlighted and bolded the main point that it has to be carbs in this instance. I happen to agree with him myself. In fact Ray does mention the spark plugs, a part of the ignition sytem, which is in agreement with what you posted. I think maybe you have taken his post a little out of context. My 2 cents
                              You might very well be right Rasputin, but if you say THIS IS WHAT I THINK in those bold kiss my tailpipe letters .....that is exactly how it comes across.

To me anyway, maybe it's just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X