Effing thing!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fabricgator View Post

DO NOT Ride this machine until it is operating properly!
    +1. Yup. My two cents.
    1978 XS1100e Satin black untill I can afford some pearlescent red paint from house of color.
    1978 XS1100s Flat Black with a Windjammer and hard bags setup. (parts pig)

Comment

If you have the airbox off or are running pods, just remove a pod and lift up the slide with you're finger.Look past the slide at the butterfly like XS11F said
      and see if the butterfly is open.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Once again, did you check for air leaks?

Comment

'Sunshine was doing this as well after i cleaned the carbs. come to find out at the end of the throttle cable, the little silver cable protector/end piece....it should slide DOWN INTO the carb throttle guide thingy...mine was sitting on top of it, and believe it or not, that would make the damn thing rev up past 5k on mine!! who woulda thunk that 1/4 of an inch of cable tension would have made it rev that high!!!!
          '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
          Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
          4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
          Windjammer(wiring issues)
          SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
          New paint/brakes to come!!
          ===============
          '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
          ===============
          '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
          Stock Pilots/125 mains
          Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
          SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
          LED Brake Lite
          Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Get Ahead and Stay Ahead

Hopefully you'll find out what's causing the high idle and then correct the cause. Maybe the cable routing? Possibly the end not seated correctly in either the carb end or the hand grip side? Or it might be the speed needs to be readjusted cause with the new plugs it's firing on all four?

But if you do get it running safely go for a ride to your local motorcycle shop and find one of these:

Called a "Cable Luber". Simply attach to cable and spray lubricant into cable luber. Fairly inexpensive and does a much needed function.

Don't stop at lubing just the throttle cable. IIRC there's another cable on the left side handlebar which performs another vital function....

Well, I've been told that you can do with out it..

Comment

I want to check for leaks but i can not as tha damn thing is revving and I can not bring myself to let it get past 5 without killing it. I know the engine can take it but I dont want two bikes I can not ride and this one is so close to being able to that I am chicken to hurt it...... Life got in the way today so I could not touch it. But tomorrow will be different.
              1978 XS1100e Satin black untill I can afford some pearlescent red paint from house of color.

Comment

Have you tried removing the throttle cable from the carb linkage, like you would if removing the carbs? That will tell you if the cable is the issue.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Tomorrow morning the linkage will be checked.

Comment

Working...
                  X