New bike - first ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike - first ride

Just picked up a 78 XS1100 in very good condition. Temps were in the low 40's yesterday so I got it out for my first ride. Wasn't sure what to expect as I have a long history with bikes but never a big motor japanese standard.

WOW! What an awesome ride. I could only take about 45 minutes but I was pleasantly surprised by the smooth, linear power delivery. Nothing abrupt or out of control. I could even see clearly out of the rear view mirror - which doesn't happen often. Brakes were good but front suspension obviously needs some work - excessive fork dive and felt really wobbly anytime I pushed the front end into a corner. Clutch was a little grabby and not the smoothest when shifting. Riding position felt aggressive but he had put on flat bars so I was definately bent at the waist. I was surprised at how small it felt once I was in the saddle. Kind of reminded me of my 07 Speed Triple. Felt really comfortable.

Already starting to list the upgrade projects. Front end will probably take priority - new springs, fork oil, etc. Will probably swith to braided brake lines and maybe clean up the forks, triple trees, etc. Paint is new so no issues there - and tires are brand new. Looking forward to some warmer weather and more time in the saddle. First ride made me a believer!

Welcome aboard! So you stared with a fully-operations bike, huh? Lucky!

You've definitely found the right place for answers to any questions you might have about your new XS. First things first though: We need pictures! Load them up on Photobucket and link to them in your posts here. Also, if you put your model in your signature, and your location in your profile, that will help others diagnose your problems and help you in the future.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Great to have you aboard! Glad you enjoyed your ride, that 45degrees raised my brows a little seeing that I'm a sunshine baby from Florida. I've been in Georgia 23 years now and still can't get used to the cold weather. I guess I'm just a big sissy. I will admit thought that as the years have passed and the middle section has expanded I don't get quite as cold as I used too I saw your comment about a speed triple and your user name,I suppose you're an old triple fan. I just went from an xs850 triple to my beloved xs1100. Quite a bit different machines ain't they!
      Rev.Rick

What I ride now: 1980 XS1100 Special

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Comment

Welcome aboard , the front end is definitely a good place to start any upgrades. New progressive springs will give you a noticeable improvement in handling and installing a "TKat" fork brace to me is just as important on these bikes. After you try one you won't want to ride without it.

Link to fork brace , http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace.html
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

A triple guy

Yes, I am an old Triumph triple guy. I have owned 11 of the new Hinkley Triumphs and a few of the old models - 69 T120 and 70 TR6. Made the decision a few years ago to move away from new bikes and look for older japanese standards. Couldn't justify the expense for the use - even though I commute everyday once the weather turns. Plus, the hunt is half the fun.

Looking forward to working on the XS. Motorcycle forums like this make it easy to purchase an older bike because you always know someone is out there willing to help when you get in a tight situation. I am sure I will read just about every thread and discussion about this bike on this forum. Nice to know a bunch of guys are enthusiastic about this bike.

Comment

Originally posted by tri650 View Post
            even though I commute everyday once the weather turns.
            Weather?? What weather? This is perfect weather we're having in St. Louis! Get out and ride! I commute every day, as long as the roads aren't covered in ice.

Originally posted by tri650 View Post
            Nice to know a bunch of guys are enthusiastic about this bike.
            Enthusiastic? I think that may be a bit of an understatement...
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Great weather??? Good to know there is another XS11 in St. Louis. This way when I take something apart and don't remember how it goes back together I have a bike to look at. BTW - forgetting how it goes back together happens about every time I take something apart.

Comment

Welcome to CH 11 Tri. Here is a hint to help that forgetful thing...take LOTS of pictures or video of things as you pull it apart. They never forget or tell lies.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                X