mikes yellow wires...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikes yellow wires...

reading about mikes coils it reminded me of a ? i had...

i bought the black coils and the yellow wires. did anyone else use the yellow ones? i think tc did... also di you guys reuse the old sleeves from the oild wires or just run the yellow wires bare?
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

If you're talking about the sleeve that covers the high tension wires, I didn't use it. The sleeves are made such that they will attach to the stock coils, but the black mikes coils aren't made the same way, so there's nothing to anchor the sleeve to the coil. Couldn't hurt to put them on, but they aren't necessary.

When you go to assemble your coils, a little shot of WD-40 on the wire ends will make it a lot easier to get the donuts over the wires. It will also allow you to tighten the coil caps all the way down by hand without the wires trying to back out. I wouldn't try tightening them with anything other than your fingers - the caps break relatively easily. DAMHIK
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

oh... not to sound rude but i put them on about 5 months ago... i was just thinking aout the sleeves because i had yellow accell wires on my camaro i used to own and i had an msd blaster coil 2 and they started arcing over onto the throttle body... not pretty!!!

i just wondered if these would arc onto the bottom of the tank???
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

I'm running the green mikes coils, which are considerably hotter than the black ones, with 7mm el-cheapo wires and have had no problems with arcing. I do, however, try to cut my wires so they're suspended in the air. The wires don't really get close to the tank, but they do touch the valve cover in a couple places, but again, no problems with arcing.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I use the yellow wires with out the sleeves. I have never noticed any arcing.

Ozz
          Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
          Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
          Pod Filters
          DynoJet Kit
          T.C.'s Fuse Block
          Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
          Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
          V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Working...
          X