Coil upgrade on XS1100F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil upgrade on XS1100F

I am ready to install MikesXS black $32.00 coils on my bike. I understand the physical replacement, the Orange/R-W/Grey wiring, and the spark plug wiring.

I have reviewed the posts on this site but remain confused on the step to by-pass the resistor on the E/F model. This seems to be necessitated by the coil secondary circuit ohm difference. To by-pass the circuit I am assuming that one would simply disconnect the resistor R/W wires and jump them to eliminate its function. Is this correct?

PS – I am one of the quite users of this site, I read a lot of posts and relate them to my situations. I truly appreciate all who respond with good advice and useful experiences. Thank-you.
    1979 XS1100 SF stock
    1979 XS1100 F Bagger w/G Motor
    1978 XS1100 2H9 (Next startup)
    1979 XS 750 SF

You are correct, just unplug the ballast and plug the two ends of the wiring harness together, and you're done.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

What Phil said,

But the removal/bypass of the ballast resistor isn't for the ignition coils Secondary Resistance, but the Primary Resistance and voltage needs. The Mikes XS coils are 12 volt and ~3 ohm, the OEM 78 were 1.5 ohm, the BR is 1.5 ohm, total = 3 ohms.what the TCI needs to see. They(oem) are 12 volt coils, but once the engine is running, the power to them is routed THRU the BR for a resultant ~9 volts which prevented them from overheating and frying. The BR is bypassed by the TCI during startup to provide stronger starting spark, then routed THRU the BR during running, again, by the TCI.

Newer technology can handle and needs the 12 volts all the time, and already provide the required 3 ohms for the TCI NOT to fry, so bypassing the BR solves both situations, full 12 volts ALL the time and the proper 3 ohms for the TCI!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

When you say "Newer technology" does this mean that the BR should remain connected when using OEM coils?
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
          When you say "Newer technology" does this mean that the BR should remain connected when using OEM coils?
          Rob
          Yes if you have oem coils.Leave the resister connected. Terry
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

I currently have a set of Accel Super Coils installed (yellow). I have them wired through the ballast resistor. Does anyone know if I need to bypass the BR, or do I need to get off my lazy butt and take the DMM out to the bike and ohm them out myself??
            -- Clint
            1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
              I currently have a set of Accel Super Coils installed (yellow). I have them wired through the ballast resistor. Does anyone know if I need to bypass the BR, or do I need to get off my lazy butt and take the DMM out to the bike and ohm them out myself??
              I THINK all the aftermarket coils are 3 ohm, but you should check to be sure before bypassing the ballast resistor.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                They(oem) are 12 volt coils, but once the engine is running, the power to them is routed THRU the BR for a resultant ~9 volts which prevented them from overheating and frying.
                Actually, the voltage is dropped to 6 volts; with two equal resistances in series, the voltage drop across each will be the same amount. If you're seeing a different amount on your meter, either the meter is wrong or you're seeing the effects of inductance.

'78E original owner
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  Actually, the voltage is dropped to 6 volts; with two equal resistances in series, the voltage drop across each will be the same amount. If you're seeing a different amount on your meter, either the meter is wrong or you're seeing the effects of inductance.

'78E original owner
                  Inductance will affect the resistance, increasing the resistance of the coil while pulses are happening. So, while the DC resistance is indeed 1.5 ohm, the ac resistance (otherwise known as impendence) is higher, resulting in an imbalance, which of course I'm sure that the engineers took into account.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Yes the Accel Super coils that will go on a 79F will require you to bypass the ballast resistor. The 140403 coils have the 3 Ohm resistance. The others that are the 140404's are the CDI type and have only .7 ohms resistance. You have 12 volts to the coil on a 79 which calls for the 140403 inductive type. So yes you should bypass the BR.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thanks. I went out and ohmed out one coil and it came out right at 4 ohms. The bike has been running fine with the ballast resistor inline, but I bet it will make more power and get better fuel economy when I get rid of that ballast resistor.
                      -- Clint

Comment

Well that was easy. It took longer to find the correct socket to unbolt the ballast resistor than it did to bypass the thing.
                        -- Clint

Comment

I bet it will make more power and get better fuel economy when I get rid of that ballast resistor.
                          Had this issue with my 79SF. The PO installed Accel yellow supercoils and left the ballast in line. It ran fine that way. After I removed the resistor, there definitely was a noticeable increase of pep and power with the higher voltage running to the coils.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. It was not the coils and I am now back into the carburetor.
                            1979 XS1100 SF stock
                            1979 XS1100 F Bagger w/G Motor
                            1978 XS1100 2H9 (Next startup)
                            1979 XS 750 SF

Comment

If you get stuck, give me a call. I'm about 40 minutes from you, and may be able to help. Ed and I could probably ride out on Sunday afternoon, help a little, and stop for a bit of liquid.
                              But seriously, IF you are stuck, send a pm and I'll see what I can do with my schedule. As I have a few of these, I know how and where too look.
                              One thing I DID learn about the resistor bypass. BE SURE TO USE SOMETHING TO KEEP IT FROM SHORTING OUT!! I was left stranded because one connector shorted against the fuel tank. Wrap the connectors well in tape, or use heat shrink tube on them!
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X