79 special luggage rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 special luggage rack

I just purchased a nice luggage rack on ebay. Seller posted it as a xs1100 , xs1100 special fit for 79. It appears to (definately) interferes with the rear turn signals. OK what gives ? Is the special rack meant to have the turn signals remounted ? Wrong rack ?
    79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
    85 Honda v65 Magna
    70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
    02 Road King (retirement gift)
    First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

ebay rack

Hi,
    I doubt if you were supposed to have to move the turn signals, I hope you havnt given feedback to the seller yet. If you paid with paypal, or a credit card you have some leverage to get this straightened out. The hassle of it all may not be worth it, maybe you can modify the bike to fit it.
    Bikes Now.
    80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
    79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
    83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
    83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
    08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Hard to tell without seeing it mounted.
      Mine bolts to the threaded hole right behind the signal, on the same pad, and to the shock mount. It does not require the signals to move.
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by vedgar View Post
        I just purchased a nice luggage rack on ebay. Seller posted it as a xs1100 , xs1100 special fit for 79. It appears to (definitely) interferes with the rear turn signals. OK what gives ? Is the special rack meant to have the turn signals remounted ? Wrong rack ?
        Hi vedgar and welcome,
        it depends on the rack. Most aftermarket accessories are made to fit several different bikes and come with an instruction leaflet that says in very small lettering "your vehicle may need some small modifications to install this product."
        The rear signals' stock position also interferes with any side bags you may want to carry so move them anyway?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

There may be several different types of rack for the Specials, but on mine, no part of the rack is far enough forward to interfere with the signals. It mounts to the holes just behind the signals, and to the back of the grab bar.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

The '79 was it's "own" model! The rack that fits ONLY works on a '79 Special. If your not sure, return the rack for a full refund as a miss-identified part. I MAY have a rack on one of the specials waiting to be pulled apart on my trailer...
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              The '79 was it's "own" model! The rack that fits ONLY works on a '79 Special. If your not sure, return the rack for a full refund as a mis-identified part. I MAY have a rack on one of the specials waiting to be pulled apart on my trailer...
              Hi Ray,
              a "full refund" would see vedgar still out by the shipping costs and without a photo we dunno quite what rack he bought or if it simply ain't on quite right.
              I reckon the least costly fix here is simply to "make the darned thing fit."
              'Bug's rack photo emphasizes my previous post.
              To fit a decent sized set of saddlebags it's best to move the signals.
              'Bug's saddlebags are no more than a medium size and see how the signals force them forward enough that they start to impose on a pillion riders leg position?
              Last edited by fredintoon; 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The rack i just mounted, i had to mount in the turn signal holes. To be fair though, it came off of my XJ650, so i didn't expect it to fit right. My lights had allready been moved as well.
                1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                A quick death and an easy one.
                A pretty girl and an honest one.
                A cold beer and another one!

Comment

luggage rack.

OK, I can mount the rack after removing the grab bar and mounting the turn signals off the rear of the frame. I just have to make a 2 inch bracket to mount them. Thanks for the replies, all.
                  79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
                  85 Honda v65 Magna
                  70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
                  02 Road King (retirement gift)
                  First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

The Yamaha rack for the SF also fits the E, F and G models. Looks like this...
                    Brian
                    XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                    Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

I Spy with My Little Eye.....

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      There may be several different types of rack for the Specials, but on mine, no part of the rack is far enough forward to interfere with the signals. It mounts to the holes just behind the signals, and to the back of the grab bar.

Cbug,

Nice bags ya got there. If you decide to part with them for any reason then lemme know, ok?

Comment

Just another example of why this is the "Brotherhood of the Travelling Parts"!
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                        X