helmet itch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helmet itch

I have horrible helmet itch at times. Have real lots of comments that others suffer it too. Has been so bad that have stopped at every rest area and scratched my head so much it bleeds, ran my head under the water faucet and it was good for 15 minutes. It happens at times within seconds of putting helmet on, not due to sweating, dont know what. all helmets are pretty much the same. tried all sorts of do rags also with little or no help.

also cut hair half inch long, seemed to help some. when i am allergic to pollen it seems to make it worse. eating lots of cortisone might help but a little drastic. some other antihistamines have helped some. my bicycle helmet that is very light and open does this very little or none at all. scalpacin has helped.

anyone know why this happens or have a good solution.??
    82 XJ 1100
    98 Magna
    past bikes
    ST1100
    92 Harley FXR built
    85 XJ 700 (2)
    86 XJ 700X

Originally posted by nightpilot View Post
    I have horrible helmet itch at times. - - - also cut hair half inch long, seemed to help some. Anyone know why this happens or have a good solution.??
    Hi nightpilot,
    Medical, go see an allergenist.
    This list may not be the best place to obtain an informed medical opinion.
    Technical, rig a camelback to sluice your head as you ride.
    Also adds "wet T-shirt" cooling in hot weather via the "trickle-down" effect.
    Practical, go the full Yul with a headshave.
    If it don't work to stop the itch, your hair will grow back quick enough.
    Geographical, move to a no-helmet-law State.
    There, you can wear the bicycle helmet for partial itch relief plus at least a degree of protection.
    Last edited by fredintoon; 02-15-2010, 11:48 AM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Wash the helmet?

You didnt say that youve washed the interior of the helmet, I assume thats been done, if not, I wash my bicycle helmets in the dishwasher, but that may be a bit drastic. You might want to check with the manufacturer on what to use for best results but I just use dish soap and water. For me, the dirtier they get the more they cause an itch.
      Bikes Now.
      80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
      79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
      83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
      83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
      08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

I used to have that problem (all the way through school, in fact), even with nothing on my head. At the slightest hint of perspiration, I would itch like crazy! I started using Neutrogena's T-Gel Daily control, and I almost NEVER itch anymore.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

That looks similar to the Garnier product I use for the same reason. Went through high school with a huge dandruff / dry scalp problem and anything that caused extra heat on my head would cause serious itching and discomfort. 30 years on I still have the underlying problem but I manage it with a good shampoo and a well ventilated helmet.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

It sounds crazy, but i have a similar issue. Mine is caused by some genetic oil factory in my head!! 20 minutes out of the shower and my scalp begins producing a never ending supply of oil!!! Sticking a helmet on ( i clean mine twice a week when i use it with dawn dish soap and hot water, rinse and let air dry) makes me want to scratch my eyeballs out!!! SWMBO suggested that i 'dust' my hair with baby powder. so before i go on a haul that requires my helmet, i take a handful of J&J baby powder, and 'grey up'. No more itch.
            '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
            Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
            4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
            Windjammer(wiring issues)
            SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
            New paint/brakes to come!!
            ===============
            '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
            ===============
            '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
            Stock Pilots/125 mains
            Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
            SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
            LED Brake Lite
            Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

You could have someone check you for lice. It is really hard to see on your own accord. Otherwise you could try "Head and Shoulders" or "Selsom Blue" and that should help.
              1980 XS1100SG
              1998 KLR 650

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts and good info guys. I wish it was a skin condition, lice or maybe even crabs but unfortnately I think it is a systemic allergic response triggered by something about the mechanical environment created by putting the helmet on the head. A search also found that lots of people experience the same thing. Also it varies between nothing and bad enough so that I would shave my head if I could at the moment. Antihistamines will diminish or extinguish the itching. What is unknown is why the response is triggered. Anyway I am hopeful that some of the preparations suggested will treat it rather than having to resort to systemic medication.
                82 XJ 1100
                98 Magna
                past bikes
                ST1100
                92 Harley FXR built
                85 XJ 700 (2)
                86 XJ 700X

Comment

my wifes is a dermatogist and says dandriff/ dry calp is cause by mack of oil in you pores....if its only itchy with the helmet on it could be tha your hair is 'tickling' your scalp causing it to itch...but if itchs all the time try some hydrocodozone cream/ouintment on the scalp after a cool shower...any kind of shapoo with zinc oxide will work well...
                  _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                  1980 gs1000g "stock"
                  1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                  2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Come to a motorcycle forum for medical advice...????

Rub it with dirt!!

Fred,

That about right?
                    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

hmmm

I prefer 20/50
                      91 kwaka kz1000p
                      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by garthxs View Post
                        I prefer 20/50
                        Ahh! But what brand? And dino or synthetic?
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

I have the same problem under certain conditions of heat and humidity. I bought a silk "cap" which looks like the top of a scuba diver's wet suit and wear that from time to time. It helps a lot. It puts a barrier between my head and the helmet liner. Does not get uncomfortably warm.

I have 3 helmets, my trusty Shoei, and HJC, and a MAX (which I don't use much, to noisy) and have had the same issue on all of them.

Interetingly, it seems to happen to me at certain heat / humidity conditions, and lower heat than one might think, generally in the 70 - 75 deg F range. Colder or warmer is not a problem, so I don't need the silk cap in those conditions.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                          X