Fixing cracked/chipped Carb with JB weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing cracked/chipped Carb with JB weld

The XS1100 Special I looked today had carbs that had been roughed up before and had been fixed with JB weld. The current owner seems hands-on and had repaired, using JB weld, one of the eight points that hold four pins in between two each of them (I am sorry that I am not mechanically oriented...)

He said that he had fist drilled a hole and put together the chipped piece to the base, and then, covered where they were pieced together using JB weld.

Is this a good repair that holds a long time?
    dontlikeoc
    1981 XS1100 Special Edition
    Alhambra, CA

Burden of PROOF

My answer is, "NO!!".

If the owner stated that he used JB WELD to do the repair then I'd take him at his word: He used the standard JB WELD. From the website:

"Q: Is J-B Weld resistant to water and/or gasoline?

A: When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water, gasoline, and about every other petroleum product or automotive chemical. For wet-surface or submerged water or gasoline repairs, see our J-B Stik or Waterweld product information."

Completely Gasoline Resistant doesn't mean Completely Gasoline Proof. As the above repairs are continuously submerged in gasoline "resistant" doesn't cut it for me.

The repair will resist the gasoline up until the point where it will fail. Where and when that will be...I dunno.
    Last edited by Larrym; 02-13-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dontlikeoc View Post
      ...one of the eight points that hold four pins in between two each of them
      Are you talking about the float pins, or some other, external spot? I agree that the float pins might see some decay, since they are submerged in fuel. However, if it's an external point, it should be fine.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Naw, Jb'll hold. Mine came like that too and have been that way for the whole time I've had it. I've fixed alot of gasoline leaks with it, and seen WAY more done that way. It is gasoline proof if given time to cure, and applied properly. This means that it does not dissolve of deteriorate. It might break when you take it apart next time, since it has no shear strength of its own. But it will work fine until that date.

It had to applied to an oil free, roughed up surface, and cured properly to hold, though. If not, I have seen it melt away. Otherwise it is a pretty good repair in a pinch.
        Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

The part of repair I am talking about is exactly as Larry kindly put pictures of.
          dontlikeoc
          1981 XS1100 Special Edition
          Alhambra, CA

Comment

Working...
          X