Rubber snorkel of stock airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber snorkel of stock airbox

The rubber snorkel part of the stock airbox I got came ripped. Is the airbox still salvageable? I have a feeling that such part will be too expensive to buy from Yamaha...
    dontlikeoc
    1981 XS1100 Special Edition
    Alhambra, CA

Snorkel

There are several members here who have actually cut the snorkel about 1" from the airbox. Two reasons: more airflow, and most important easy removal when removing the carbs.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I'd just pull it off and toss it. It's there for quieting the intake roar but all it really does is restrict the intake flow...

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I cut the snorkel off 1" from it's base and eliminated the top box mounting bracket. This way the air box can be removed very easily with the carbs still attached. Makes carb removal sooooo much easier.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
        X