No announcement yet.

XJ tank picture request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking a natural finish like that. For the studs I don't think they'd be that difficult to make something work for them, they'd be easy as pie with any half decent lathe. The hard part would be the latch for the left side over the tool box but i believe that could be made as well. Each stud would have ears coming off of it that would be laminated right into the backside of our fancy pretty carbon fiber side cover. HERE'S the link for their products page. That pic is the 2/2 twill weave of carbon fiber/kevlar. For a yard of the material (guesstimating enough for side covers for one bike) they're asking $38.50. That's only the material not the resin or anything.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Yeah, a mold of the latch would have to be made. Then it could be glued to the side cover. The studs would be easy enough, too.

If I get around to making a mold, I will start with the cheap bondo fiberglass and epoxy route until I get it perfected. No need blowing $40 on a piece of carbon fiber that would probably be malformed the first time around.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Yeah, best case there'll be a set of really nice fiberglass side covers that can be sold to finance the carbon fiber ones. I don't think many would balk at ~$40 for a good quality set of sidecovers. (may be wrong but it wouldn't be the first time)
        1980 XS11SG
        Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
        Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
        ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Working...
        X