question about lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about lighting

I recently aquired my 1980 XS 11 midnight special. although I was able to fix many problems this one has me baffled. Any advice would be appreciated. The problem is this. Every now and then my headlight, tach light, and speedometer light go out for anywhere from a second to up to a minute. This happens for no apparent reason. I have replaced the headlight relay, reserve lighting unit, and fuse box. Its still happening.
    Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from a new member and a new xs owner.

Bob
    Robert Jankuski

An electrical diagram will show that these devices have a couple other things in common. I've had stator coil issues of my own making, that have created a similar problem. I suspect either the rectifier, or the stator coil. Take off the right engine cover and inspect the stator coil to ensure that it hasn't been loose or rubbing. It sounds like you may likely have a loose or broken wire from down there too. Intermittent problems are the hardest to track, so patience and/or beer may be needed.
    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
    1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
    1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
    2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Could also be a grounding problem, but I am not looking at a print, I would clean, check and reseat all connections in the headlight bucket first. Then look for a bad ground.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I agree gary, that makes as much, or more, sense.
        1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
        1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
        1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
        2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
        2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Re: question about lighting

Bob, I wonder if the contacts in the key switch are bad?

Originally posted by bobnchgo
          Every now and then my headlight, tach light, and speedometer light go out for anywhere from a second to up to a minute. This happens for no apparent reason. I have replaced the headlight relay, reserve lighting unit, and fuse box. Its still happening.

Bob
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

LIGHTS

Sounds like problem iv'e been having with my 80 SG.my problem was in bad connection in fuse box with lighting fuse.looked ok till i started tuggin on wires to fuse then lights would go out .fixed connection now ok.may or may not be your problem.just cuz it looks ok does'nt mean it is.I hate wiring problems
            when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
            80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Thanks for all the help, here was the problem.
              After replacing the stator (which probably needed replacing) and the fuse box, which was particially melted from a hot fuse. The battery was dry. After replacing the battery, which would not hold a charge any longer, the bike started and now runs fine.
              I appreciate everyones feed back and I hope that I can assist in the future.

Thanks again and happy days are here again.

Bob
              Robert Jankuski

Comment

Working...
              X