Ugly Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rickrod3 View Post
    - - - The fight I'm having with my alter ego is: do I go deeper and check out the steering bearing? - - -
    Hi Rick,
    of course you do. ~80% of the necessary teardown is already done. NOW is the time to dismantle, inspect, replace the headraces if needful and repack them for sure.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Chrome on the forks.

IS it pitted with rust at all? Mine look the same as yours and I am cleaning them up like you did but my uppers have a small amount of pitting. Any ideas on what to do with that?
      1978 XS1100e Satin black untill I can afford some pearlescent red paint from house of color.
      1978 XS1100s Flat Black with a Windjammer and hard bags setup. (parts pig)

Comment

Originally posted by vileneeds View Post
        IS it pitted with rust at all? Mine look the same as yours and I am cleaning them up like you did but my uppers have a small amount of pitting. Any ideas on what to do with that?
        Not a whole lot you can do with rusty fork tubes. Clean them as best you can with chrome polish, maybe using a fine scotchbrite pad or some 0000 steel wool to apply. If the pits are down where the fork seal will go over them, watch for leaks. New seals can help, but if you still have leaks with them, there's seal brands (Leak Proof is one that some listers have used with success) that are designed to work with less-than-perfect tubes. Still leak? You need better used or new tubes.

And before you ask, no, you can't mix fork parts between standards and specials...

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...