Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter

I stopped by my local Kragen (Checker, Schucks) to get an oil filter. I reached to the familiar spot where the Fram CH6002 has been sitting and "GASP".....it's gone!!!
    I checked at the counter and was told they (CSK) discontinued carrying that part #.
    This is bad news considering I have 3 engines with that filter, another XSive close by that uses it, 2 co-workers that have XSes (midnight special and an 850 special) and I see an XJ in the driveway behind my work (I've been meaning to tell him about this site.
    Anyhow, I went to Autozone and bought both their STP SMO-02 filters and will continue hoarding them.
    Is it possible that our filter is being phased out? We may have to look for an alterate filter assembly. I remember a thread on the previous site that mentioned someone using a spin-on filter. There was concerns because it stuck down lower that the original and was vulnerable to catastophic damage. I'll try to find it (it was 1 1/2 to 2 years ago).
    I'd hate to have my bike become obsolete because of a $4.00 part.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Pat, my local Schuck's quit carrying the CH6002 a few years ago. They can still order them though. I don't think FRAM (Allied Signal) has quit making them. I sure hope not!

I think that filter is used on VMax, Venture, and other bikes as well. Also, I think www.holeshot.com (Dale Walker) still carries them, though he wants $5.95 ea
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Pat

Let me know when you are ready for more oil filters. If you want Fram I can have Kragen In Oakdale get us some. The manager is a friend of mine. Should be able to get a discount also.
      Gary
      79sf
      78e

Comment

Earl (wholesale mgr.) at Kragen told me that Kragen regional dropped the part number. I worked at Motor Parts Dist. downtown for several years. They are/were one of the largest wholesalers from Lodi to Merced and into the foothills. I think I know every partsman and mechanic in the central valley.

Did you ever find what happened to your newest E model? Whay did it suddenly quit and go blank?
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Did you ever find what happened to your newest E model? Whay did it suddenly quit and go blank?

Yep, Was the main fuse holder, took me awhile to find it, I have put in a new fuse block since then.
          Gary
          79sf
          78e

Comment

A whole bunch of Yamahas use that filter, I wouldn't worry about it yet. But the time is coming when $2.00 parts will keep us off these bikes. Search for Oil filter I just posted 4 or 5 numbers. If somebody puts together a list of part numbers I can put up the list someplace, thinking Plugs, Oil Filters, Air filters.
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
              But the time is coming when $2.00 parts will keep us off these bikes.
              Hey, I'd be happy to find the oil filter for $2.00!
              Robert
              79 SF

Comment

(although I know you meant inexpensive parts)
                Robert
                79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
                  If somebody puts together a list of part numbers I can put up the list someplace, thinking Plugs, Oil Filters, Air filters.
                  I've got a few plug numbers:
                  XS11 Spark Plugs

NGK:
                  BP6ES
                  BPR6ES (7131 advance auto stock #)
                  BPR6ES-11 is ok, need to regap
                  BP5ES is hotter (7832 advance auto #)

Champion:
                  stock# 3415 - Mercedes plat plug
                  UN79Y=ngkBP6ES
                  RN10Y=ngkBPR6ES
                  RN10Y4=ngkBPR6ES-11 (need to regap)

I keep all of these on my palm so when I need plugs, I won't be sol if they don't have my bleoved NGK's or Bosch platiunums

AC Delco:
                  R42XLS
                  1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                  1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                  http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

oil filter

Jc Whitney has the oil and air filters for the xs"s in stock and I have not had a problem at my local dealer yet, just another resource if needed dgy.com I believe is the address and so is jcw.com
                    Robert Jankuski

Comment

Pat,
                      Mike is correct about other Yamahas using that filter. V-Max and Ventures also use it. Your dealer may not carry it any more but they are definitely still available.
                      Don
                      Don Hughes
                      Ex-1978 E
                      Ex-1985 Yamaha Venture Royale
                      1991 Yamaha Venture Royale
                      1990 Honda Goldwing
                      Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                      X