Shock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Question

I've been cruising Ebay for a pair of inexpensive rear shocks that are better cosmetically that what I have (rust in all the usual places, but the springs are beyond hope). There's lots of Harley take-offs for cheap (nice all-chrome versions can be found for as little as $40 incl shipping) so I went rummaging though my spares for a comparison set. Turns out I have a pair the right length, and in pretty decent shape too.

So I got to thinking about spring rates, damping, etc and decided to pull the springs off both sets and compare damping. I know one of the complaints about the OEM shocks is their lack of compression damping.

I'm not too worried about the springs, as weights are comparable. The HD springs are smaller around but about 1" longer. Where the real surprise was was in the damping.

The OEMs were as advertised; almost no compression damping, but quite stiff rebound. The HD shock had a bit more compression vs the Yammy shock, but rebound was only a bit more than it's compression. This got me to thinking, so I pulled out a Progressive shock (it's match was bad) and checked it. A bit stiffer damping-wise over the HD, but still not as much rebound as the OEM unit.

So, do you think the stiff rebound could be a 'tune' to limit rear end rise under torque? The one big thing that always irritated me about mine was the 'pogo effect' when getting into/out of the throttle, so I don't want to make it worse. On chain/belt drive bikes, this isn't an issue. Anyone who has swapped out their rear shocks, have you noticed any difference? Or has anybody checked a Progressive XS11-specific shock for it's damping?

This may much deeper than most people get into this, but you never know who's checked what....

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

I’ve not spent any time dwelling on it, but there is a noticeable “improvement” on one of my XSes that has a set of Koni progressive shocks. Progressive springs do improve overall handling from running over a pot hole to twisty black ribbons.
    On the stock G there was a pronounced somewhat lateral rear movement which occurred during the first instant of max acceleration or upon a “heavy” down shift which will really gets your attention in a turn. The other standard has progressive springs front and rear and I don’t recall it experiencing the same effect and I have twist the grip hard enough that I cracked the clutch basket once. (has a Barnet clutch pack with heavy clutch springs too )

On my specials it never comes up because for some reason I just don’t ride em the same.

mro

Comment

I dumped the stock rear shocks soon after I got the bike and went to air shocks, because they are more easily adjusted and in combination with the airforks Progressive springs on the front make fine tuning the suspension a lot easier.
      Fastmover
      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
      lion". SHL
      78 XS1100e

Comment

Hey Steve,

I remember the POGO effect immediately when I got my NEW bike back from Japan and got it broken in. Setting the dial-a-damper didn't have much affect, so I just learned to live with it, but it was always there!

Then after my rebuild in 2000 after a 10 year hiatus, put on el cheapo Monza style shocks, and noticed an immediate difference, no more POGO no matter how hard I tried to kick the throttle and such!

So I'm surprised that found more rebound dampening in your OEM shocks than the others!? I've read of folks using HD throwaways successfully. The aftermarket ones from MikesXS or Partsnmore, etc., are now about $79.00 but you get all sorts of bushings with them.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Steve,

I installed a set of "take off" air shocks from a Hardley bagger, and I am quite happy with the way they ride.
          Dave
          1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            So I'm surprised that found more rebound dampening in your OEM shocks than the others!?
            T.C.
            That's what caught my attention too. I've had more than a few pairs of motorcycle shocks apart, and these were the only ones that had such lopsided damping. So is it a design flaw, or something intentional? Who knows....

I'm encouraged by the fact that you (and others) are reporting good results with 'normal' rear shocks off non-shaft drive bikes. The damping characteristics of even the air shocks should be pretty much the same as standard units, so I'll give some 'regulars' a try.

The Sportster shocks are all-chrome (even the body) and I want the 'flash', so those will be my first choice. My XS is going to be really shiny...

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Hey Steve,

Check out AkMac's Chrome Queen for SHINY!!!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/AKMac/photo/23.jpg

There may be more photos, I remember him posting quite a few when he was documenting his RECHROMING process, note the wheel rims, center stand, etc!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

There's a lot of money there....
                But nothing is as shiny as plated aluminum.

Chrome has gotten so expensive. I'm going with polishing pretty much everything aluminum except the engine cases. I may 'cheat' on the wheels, as after doing the final drive housing trying to get into all those nooks and crannies I'm not sure I want to tackle a full polish the wheels. I got some 1-step powdercoat from Eastwood that's supposed to look pretty close to chrome, I'll post my results with it after I try it.

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...