Fuel Line question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Line question

I took off my stock tank awhile back due to it springing a leak. On the back of the tank (to the left of the tank mount) is a large tube that wasn't hooked up to anything but a line running to the ground like the batery line.

The question I have is what is that tube for? When I got another stock tank and started putting gas into it gas ran everywhere from that tube. Any clues? :confused

Cuda_phish
    A Happy barracuda on nitrous! :

That is a drain line for getting rid of rain that may collect around the filler, or excess gas if you happen to fill it too full. If you pop open the lid, you should see a small hole at the lowest part of the recess on the top of the tank. This is the top end of that same tube, and it passes through the body of the tank. Having gas run out of that tube when you fill the tank is not a good thing. It means the drain tube is rusted or broken somewhere inside of the tank.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hmmm

Since I keep the bike in a garage and try like hell not to ride in the rain I'll just plug it for now. I'm sending my tank off once I have the extra cash to have the Renu thing done to it.

Thx for the info Ken

Comment

Re: Fuel Line question

If you fill the tank to the brim with gas, heat can make the gas push up into the overflow area and out onto the ground. No big deal, but it can "lubricate" the back tire!

Originally posted by cuda_phish1
        I took off my stock tank awhile back due to it springing a leak. On the back of the tank (to the left of the tank mount) is a large tube that wasn't hooked up to anything but a line running to the ground like the batery line.

The question I have is what is that tube for? When I got another stock tank and started putting gas into it gas ran everywhere from that tube. Any clues? :confused

Cuda_phish
        A Happy barracuda on nitrous! :
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
        X