Stainless Steel brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Steel brake lines

Hey y'all, I though I would offer this ebay seller to anyone looking to replace their stock brake lines with stainless steel: coastguard1975. I just got mine and they look and fit great. I even had them shorten the line from the front MC to the distribution block to do away with some of the slack I had after switching out handlebars. I replaced my brakelines on my xs850 with lines from Paragon. These lines I just got are just as well made at a better price. The price they have on ebay right now is $69 bucks and the set comes with four brake lines (front and back brakes) and all new banjo bolts and crush washers ($4 a piece extra from Paragon). The only thing I would suggest is go ahead and purchase a new double fitting banjo bolt to use on the two separate front brake lines. Their Kit doesn't include this bolt and the stock one seems a bit short. I had to use my old crush washers because they are thinner than the news ones from my kit. The double banjo bolt is an extra $6. Rick
    Rev.Rick

What I ride now: 1980 XS1100 Special

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

That's where I got mine too. Good stuff.
    1978 XS1100
    "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

Comment

So they must be made more for the standard than the Special then. I had a problem with two lines, both from the MC. On the Special they both require a 90 degree offset from end to end on the fittings which the set I recieved did not have. Also the back line was way to long, I could not route it so it would not rub the frame which it would vibrate and eventually wear through the paint like that.

I have contacted Costguard about it, sent my old lines back a month ago for him to make up the right lines for me and heard nothing back. Until this morning when he advised me he lost all of his old email due to switching to Windows 7 and had no idea what I was asking about. I provided the old emails as a "gentle" reminder.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Yes. It is a hell of a good price!
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          So they must be made more for the standard than the Special then.
          When I ordered he sent an email specifically asking if I wanted them for a Standard or a special.
          1978 XS1100
          "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

Comment

I put a set on my 79 XS11SF. The rear was just a bit too long. Routed it through the holders on the swing arm and bent them in a bit toward the wheel to avoid the rubbing on the swing arm.
            The front lines fit great with the exception of the 2 lines mounted to the splitter. I had to reuse my double banjo bolt and copper washers as the banjo fittings are thicker. With his washers I could only get 2 threads on the banjo bolt in. I picked them up around the holidays when he had them for $52.50 + $12.95 shipping.

Richard

Comment

I just installed the same set. I had the same experience having to reuse the stock double banjo bolt but annealed the original washers and things bolted up nicely. I had a vacuum pump that I was using to bleed the brakes was having a hell of a time pulling the fluid through. Decided I needed something else and invested in a MityVac from the local Autozone. Same problem. Turns out the bleed nipples were jammed solid with crap. Cleaned them out with a couple of drill bits and "hey, presto!" Back in Business. Very solid brake lever now. Can even hear the piston give a sharp click on the disc when I pull the lever now.
              I haven't installed the back line yet. From what I can see, there is only a 5" section of rubber line in the back brake. Did anyone notice any difference when they installed the stainless line in the back brake? Looks to be a bit of a hassle to get to if there is little benefit.

Comment

My 79 Standard had stainless lines put on the front by the PO and bought a rear line from this guy last summer. I had the same problems you guys did with the line but I had just rebuilt the caliper so that was all good. If I had my druthers I would have the line be about an inch shorter but it was hard to beat for the price.

No I need a stainless line for the hydraulic clutch conversion. OK, I don't really need it but I want both sides to have the same type of hydraulic lines...

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Eying these lines from coastguard as I redo my front end. Wondering if anyone has tried the ones from Goodridge (from the UK). A little more, but maybe worth it??
                  1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                  2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

I've used the goodridge on a few bikes; the ones I bought you 'assemble'. You buy the banjos that you need, then get the length line to fit. These use AN fittings on the ends. The main trick is knowing the length of the banjos, so you get the right line. That's what Im using on my 4-piston caliper conversion. They've worked great so far on the other bikes...

'78E original owner
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

For the money

Go local and take your old lines with you. Cost me $80 local to get exactly what I needed. The ones I got from Coastguard would not fit my MNS and I never got satisfaction from him. I know his lines are supposed to fit the special with issues but I do not want "issues" after paying for something. Just my 2 cents. I did sell the ones from coastguard to Ivan so you might buzz him.
                      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                      Original except:
                      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

My concern with mounting the lines and then using the master cylinder or caliper to torque the line ends into fitting is that that force may eventually cause the fittign to give way. Hate to find out when I am trying to slow down for a tight turn that I have no front brakes!!
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Anyone use Galfer stainless steel lines?

http://www.pashnit.com/product/galfe...uynow.html#top

Part #FK003D611-3 for a three line kit for my 1981 xs1100 special.

They do not make lines for the rear brakes. Do you think I would gain much switching the rear lines to stainless steel seeing the lines are so short?

David
                          1981 XS1100 Special
                          Previous Bikes
                          1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
                          1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
                          1982 Honda CB900c
                          1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
                          1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by davidsymons53 View Post
                            Anyone use Galfer stainless steel lines?

http://www.pashnit.com/product/galfe...uynow.html#top

Part #FK003D611-3 for a three line kit for my 1981 xs1100 special.

They do not make lines for the rear brakes. Do you think I would gain much switching the rear lines to stainless steel seeing the lines are so short?

David
                            Most people just get ride of the solid line and replace from the master cylinder to the caliper with a single line. I know personally on mine that steel line rusted and blocked of due to water being absorbed over time.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

They also have a 77 xs1100 listed as well?
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X