Leakproof seals Need advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leakproof seals Need advise

Got my leakproof seals today. They are thinner than the stock seals. Does this mean i put the original spacer ring in, as well as the one that came with the leakproof seals? Do i just worry about taking up the distance? I know some of you have had experience with these, i just expected them to be the same thickness.
    Bob
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Guess could say the good part is you get the practice rebuilding them this time. Bad part is you gonna be doin it again, hopefully using OEM fork seals.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Just follow the instruction sheet. Leave at least .020" of float room between top spacer and snap ring. Make sure the housing where the seal rests is smooth. If there are dings, smooth them down. This seal has to float, unlike conventional ones. If you have an extra washer, put it on the bottom of the seal, if there's room.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It would seem that some of you have had good luck with these, and some have not. Because of the small pitting (which is very few) I will try them. It has been my experience that cleanliness is a big factor in successful operation.
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

Dude, they're great for pitted or nicked fork tubes. No pits or nicks, use regular type seals. IIRC, you had your forks rebuilt and had new seals installed. If they aren't leaking, don't worry they should be fine. A few small nicks or pits in some cases won't cause a leak, YMMV.
          Last edited by bikerphil; 01-23-2010, 05:05 PM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

Forks are back in the bike. Maybe get it together tomorrow. Spent more time working on my XJ650. I think i need new front bearings, they feel dry. If these bearings are sealed on both sides, why do we need the seals. Can't see a way to get the seals out without damaging them. I'll have to see if the local shop may have them. A long shot i know. Just hate to wait another 5 days.
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
              If these bearings are sealed on both sides, why do we need the seals.
              To keep the grease where it needs to be. There's not much if any grease between the two bearings in the wheel. They are as cheap as $7, replace them if they are in question. Those outer seals can be popped out, straightened, and re-used.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 01-24-2010, 01:23 AM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Working...
              X