Serves me right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serves me right

I really don't care for the look of the stock ass-end on my '78Std.(don't let it know I said that.) So instead of just picking up an aftermarket brake light and license plate bracket, I decided to replace the entire fender setup.

My friend had an old Harley fender and taillight that he was willing to toss me for a decent price, so I decided to go with that.

Well after a couple hours of wrangling, it dawns on me that even though I made the thing wider to accommodate the tire, it's probably a bad idea to have bolts n nuts sticking willy-nilly through the underside of the fender on a soft-tail bike. Well at least the beer was good.

So I'm reselling the fender and taillight, reinstalling the stock assembly, and shopping for an aftermarket light/license plate bracket.

I'll be surfing fleabay for a while to see what catches my eye, but since it seems that either they or my decision making abilities are a bit lacking, does anyone have any recommendations?
    Last edited by Spider; 01-21-2010, 11:21 PM.
    1978 XS1100
    "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

Originally posted by Spider View Post
    - - -My friend had an old Harley fender and taillight that he was willing to toss me for a decent price, so I decided to go with that. - - -
    Well after a couple hours of wrangling, it dawns on me that even though I made the thing wider to accommodate the tire, it's probably a bad idea to have bolts n nuts sticking willy-nilly through the underside of the fender on a soft-tail bike. - - -
    Hi Spider,
    Sounds like the job is half done already, pity to waste the effort. Put the bolt heads on the underside with the tails sticking up. Crop the bolt tails off short enough that you can put chromed or stainless steel dome nuts on the outside.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

.....*Headdesk*

Yeah that would work.

Told you the beer was good.
      1978 XS1100

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
        ....Put the bolt heads on the underside with the tails sticking up. Crop the bolt tails off short enough that you can put chromed or stainless steel dome nuts on the outside.
        If space is really at a premium, use button-head allens. And if there is any slight interference, the rounded head won't gouge up your tire.

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If you're looking for a chrome fender. I have a nice one that I took off my XS850 Special. It has the tag bracket on it. If this is something like what you want you can have it for the shipping cost. Rick
          Rev.Rick

What I ride now: 1980 XS1100 Special

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Comment

Hi Rev.Rick,

Thanks for the offer. My stock fender's polish is still nice, and I think I'll be able to make this other work, so I think I'll pass. I think I'm going to see about using low-profile bolt heads on the underside to get where I'm going with it.
            Thanks anyway!

Spider
            1978 XS1100

Comment

Working...
            X