Anyone recognise this ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recognise this ???

After fitting new fork seals, installing the forks on the bike and refitting the fender, etc I went to install my new Tkat fork brace. Things had been going well up to that point. Initially I thought I had the wrong brace but after some study I discovered I have the wrong fender and even if I did get the fork clamp to squeeze between the fender and the fork leg, there is no way I would get the cross brace to fit.

I know the PO had broken the bike before, and rebuilt it with second hand parts, the tell tale signs are there like 79 discs on an 80, the wrong footpegs etc but I hadnt given a thought to the fender before. I had no reason to. Whatever it's off, it fits really well and doesnt look like its been modified in any way, but theres no way I'm ever going to fit my fork brace over it. Don't ya just love PO's !!!
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

The Special fork brace and the Standard are different.I think you may have the wrong one.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I don't think that fender is from an XS11 at all.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
        The Special fork brace and the Standard are different.I think you may have the wrong one.
        Not only that, look at the gap between the tire and fender. The only bikes I've ever had with that much gap were dirt bikes.
        BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
        80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Look on the inside/underside of the fender. Does it have an extra layer of metal at the top and around to the mounting bolts? If so, you have a fender off of an XJ. They add a lot of stiffening to the front end versus the XS fenders, but it still won't be as good as the fork brace.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Fender

Just drill new holes in the fender bracket to drop it closer to the tire and put your brace on .Looks l;ike it will work
            Doug Mitchell
            82 XJ1100 sold
            2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
            2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
            1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
            47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

We owe PO's a lot. They provide endless hours of amusement, plus they are the only source of these great bikes as you cannot get one from direct from Yamaha anymore.
              The good news is that most times, a few dollars and the help of this forum you can fix almost all the PO's handiwork.
              I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

The fork brace IS for a Special! I think Tod may have the fender marked correctly, but I'm not sure. It does look as if you would need to drill the mounting holes about 1.5" higher on the fender to clear the brace.
                The other way to check if you can use it is unbolt the fender and let it set on top of the tire, install the brace, and then raise the fender too the brace. You can use some 500G bags of dried beans to space the fender off the tire. Once it fits, use a sharpie to mark the top of the mount boss on the fender, and measure down from there to drill the new mount holes.
                Just my thought.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

'Sunshine has a very similar looking fender... but its PLASTIC.... Frankenbike had a fork brace on it that looks VERY similar to TKAT's, but not sure....both of them being standards, it should fit.....haven't checked the clearance with the fender yet...... but i will NOWALL HAIL THE P.O.'S
                  '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                  Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                  4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                  Windjammer(wiring issues)
                  SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                  New paint/brakes to come!!
                  ===============
                  '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                  ===============
                  '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                  Stock Pilots/125 mains
                  Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                  SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                  LED Brake Lite
                  Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

More like "ALL HAIL" Tom's avatar - sorry its just what I literally said to myself after reading your post - Dan
                    '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                    1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                    Rebuilt head, valves
                    TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                    Tkat Fork Brace
                    T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                    Dyna Coils & wires
                    Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                    ISO grips with stelleto ends
                    4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                    Bridgestone Spitfires
                    Tuned by Tinman905
                    & a will to keep it.

Comment

Tod, didn't we decide an XJ fender and brace wouldn't fit an XS for some reason? Seems like it was on the way to Eureka Springs early last year. Its hard to remember the difference when you don't have the two sitting together to compare.
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

looks like it may have come from a 750 seca
                        http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                        78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                        78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
                        78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
                        79F Parts
                        80G Parts
                        75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Tod, that's not an XJ fender. I finally got one to replace the one my son crumpled and it's different. Not as much tire showing through the sides and the bolt patern is totally different. On the XJ the front bolt hole is about 3/4" to 1" higher than the rear hole.
                          That is a special fork and a special tkat brace.
                          I agree with Ray that maybe Walker will get a better fit by drilling the holes much higher and seeing if the brace will fit over the fender. Unlike dirt bikes, the XS fender can hug the tire.
                          Good luck Walker.
                          1980G Standard, Restored
                          Kerker 4 - 1
                          850 Rear End Mod
                          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                          Automatic CCT
                          1980GH Special, Restored
                          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I think the XJ fender will fit the XS.. but just like in the pics, the fork brace won't fit also. The standard's fork brace is almost straight across with no rise, while the special's fork brace has to rise up much higher. BUT.. even the special's brace doesn't rise high enough to go over the XJ's fender. John found this out when he tried to use an XJ fender on his bike... if I remember correctly.

Now that I have that cleared up.. I went out to compare, and that fender isn't from an XJ1100. It doesn't match any of mine. The XJ doesn't have that cutout in front of the fork as seen here..

So... back to his original question! lol. Sorry no help.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own