Left Rear Wheel Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Rear Wheel Bearing

I was just doing some reading in the tech section, and was reading about changing the rear wheel bearings and I was struck by something (no not a solid or even liquid object or substance ). According to the tech article the center race of the left side bearing is SUPPOSED to slide out of the bearing. If this is correct, based on my other checking, my rear bearings are actually fine. The mechanic who did the tires (and told me the bearing was bad) based his diagnosis on the fact that the center race came out of the bearing.

So, I guess that I have a bearing ready for when/if the one in there actually does go bad?

There is no roughness to the rear bearings, the diagnosis of the bearing being bad is based purely on the center race sliding out of the bearing. Is this right? This is normal for these (I guess I'll check the new one tonight, I was actually reading the tech tip to make sure I knew what all parts I needed to have on hand before I did the job, and the tip talked about the middle race being out both when removing the old bearing and when putting the new one in).

I just want to make sure I'm right, that it's actually fine for the center race to be easily removed as long as it's reasonably snug when in place and everything is nice and smooth when rotating and there is no wobble. Right?
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Yes

The NA5904 bearing inner race slides in and out, although after fully handpacked with quality wheel bearing grease it will stay where it belongs.
    Scott
    I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Working...
    X