Anybody wanna trade??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody wanna trade??

I am considering putting a standard tank on my '80 special. Before I put it on Ebay, I was going to see if anyone here would want this tank, or want to trade. Here are some pics of it installed and how it is painted:

I am needing the higher profile of the standard tank. Any input on putting a standard tank on a special would be appreciated, too.

My tank has been creamed, and has no rust. It is painted black, base/clear (4 coats on top) and airbrushed with auto-air airbrush paint (supposed to have good color locking). It has been clearcoated between the black and airbrushing as well. There are minor scratches and scuffs, as it has been on my bike about a year now.

This tank is most likely not for everyone, so I won't be offended if no one wants it. I just thought I would start here first. Thanks in advance for input on swapping the tanks!
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

I like the paint on it, and I DO have one or two "spare" standard tanks. If no one else wants it. we can talk trade plus a few dollars on my part.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ray,
      What shape are your standard tanks in? I am not so much concerned about paint and finish (I will be changing that anyway) as I am with dents and rust. I am definately interested to see what you have. PM me when you get a chance and we can talk further!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

would that fit my xj11? that tank is sweet!
        What you need to do is be thankful for the life you got. Stop looking at what you dont have and start being thankful for what you do have.

82 XJ 1100

Comment

Originally posted by tbcfreerider View Post
          would that fit my xj11? that tank is sweet!
          Yes, you can make it fit...
          But it's capacity is a LOT smaller than your XJ's, so you'll be reducing your range a lot!

(Special's tanks were the smallest of the bunch.)
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I am not so sure it would fit, mainly the rear mounting. On the XS there is only a small tab with a round rubber insert, on the XJ tank there is a longer slot, which is wider than the tab on the XS tank. That would be the only barrier.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

that paint is freaking awesome is all.
              What you need to do is be thankful for the life you got. Stop looking at what you dont have and start being thankful for what you do have.

82 XJ 1100

Comment

Thanks for the props, TBC. If you wanted something like that on your tank, we could prolly arrange something if you wanted to ship if off for a little while. It does not take all that long to do...

As long as we are on the topic of selling/ trading tanks, does anyone have a good standard tank they would just be willing to sell?

Comment

on the topic of paint... did you paint the exhaust black? it looks so rad like that. oh and the turn signals... that is nice, I HATE THE OG HUGE ones on my bike.

82 XJ 1100

Comment

Ultra high temp exhaust paint. It is specifically for painting exhaust systems and can be bought at most auto parts stores in spray bomb form. Keep the can when you are done, since you have to touch it up from time to time (rock chips, shiny spots, etc).

Get the exhaust warm, spray it, ride for 30 min, done.

Turn signals were from Dennis Kirk. They were a PITA to mount as the lamp can ground through the chrome housing and needs to be completely rubber mounted in order to work. They are nice and bright, and a ARE alot smaller!

Comment

Originally posted by t71ford View Post
                      Thanks for the props, TBC. If you wanted something like that on your tank, we could prolly arrange something if you wanted to ship if off for a little while. It does not take all that long to do...

As long as we are on the topic of selling/ trading tanks, does anyone have a good standard tank they would just be willing to sell?

WARNING: You're likely about to get bombed with PM's for paintwork business :P

Wicked paint job. I'm sloshed tonight and can't formulate proper phraseology, but I'll PM you at some point.
                      1978 XS1100
                      "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

Comment

Ha Ha! That is funny right there!

Seriously, though, if there is some interest in paintwork from anyone, I am willing to give it a go.
                        Last edited by T99Ford; 01-20-2010, 08:28 AM.

Comment

That's a sick bike, where did you get the tail light?
                          1980 XS1100SG
                          In the process of making her look pretty!
                          P.S., TomRodgers has the best avatar icon ever!

Comment

I forget the name of the store. It is a DuoLamp copy, with an LED insert. Two wire hook up, pretty easy.

You might check Ebay.

Comment

Working...
                            X