Cam chain master link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain master link

I just reassembled my engine.I got the head on and cams installed today.
    I used the master link that came with the chain from PNM.The problem is
    that it's not like the master links I used before with the link then the piece
    on the other side(figure 8 washer with two holes) and the lock/clip that slides into the grooves.
    This link is just a regular link.So, I am worried that it needs to be swedged with something like all the other links in the chain.I clamped it together with vise grips,but am worried that it might not hold.
    I would really appreciate some real guru insight on this.Should I worry or run it.Or, is there a old school master link available?
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Peen it over. Put another hammer on the other side to provide resistance.
    XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

Yup.. the little posts that the link goes over are hollow. You put something on the back side to hold it, and use a center punch to widen those posts so the side can't come off. It's a PITA to do yourself... but it can be done.

I don't know that I'd just peen it over like an incorrectly hit nail though...

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey Tod,
        Are sure those are hollow?Mine look like solid pins.I'll take a closer look after work today and see if can expand those things.There obviously aint much room in there for a center punch and a hammer.I'll have to get in there with my ten thumbs.lol
        Rick
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Well, the one I used from Partsnmore was?? But.. I think just peening it over would put it in a bind. You have to mushroom the head of it somehow I would think.

Yeah, a third hand to hold whatever you're hitting against would be really big help. Not all of us are like Ivan, with opposing thumbs on their feet also.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100

Comment

You can get a tool that does it from Harbor Freight. Chain breaker there also. Fairly cheap.
            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
            Original except:
            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
              I just reassembled my engine.I got the head on and cams installed today.
              on the other side(figure 8 washer with two holes) and the lock/clip that slides into the grooves.
              This link is just a regular link.So, I am worried that it needs to be swedged with something like all the other links in the chain.I clamped it together with vise grips,but am worried that it might not hold.
              I would really appreciate some real guru insight on this.Should I worry or run it.Or, is there a old school master link available?
              Hi tarzan, Your on the right track about swedging. There's tool that is used for this and if you do a little research You will find them at a reasonable cost.
              http://www.sudco.com/motionpro.html
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

You can get a tool that does it from Harbor Freight. Chain breaker there also. Fairly cheap.
                Yeah, I saw one of those when I went in there last Friday. Looked like it would do a good job, and seems like I remember it being @ $15?? Under $20 anyway. It would break the old chain and finish up those ends on the new chain as he said.

Tod

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

Last time I did one, I started it off with a centerpunch then peened it with a ball peen hammer. It hasn't blown up yet.

Comment

I used a center punch and a sledge hammer behind.

There is no side force on the cam chain, it's just to keep the loose side from falling off.
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Sounds like what you had on it before was a removable masterlink. The masterlink goes with the chain, and you just have to make sure you have the appropriate link for the chain. If you got the chain from pnm it should have had a rivet masterlink included that is correct for the chain. You could peen the links as was previously suggested, or Mikes XS sells a nice chain breaker/riveting tool. It not only rivets the link, it also provides you with the punch tool to take one apart. It's a lot easier than hammering on the link, but it'll cost you $44 plus shipping. JAT
                      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I've never seen a cam chain with a clip-on link, only seen them on rear wheel drive chains.

Comment

I think I misread the original post. I was thinking that was the type of link that was on the chain, but in rereading I see where Tarzan only said that was the kind of link he was familiar with. Sounds like he might need a chain breaking tool sooner rather than later.
                          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I have a chain breaker.That is how I removed the old chain.Bt no riveter.

I did get a new chain from PNM, but installing the chain I smashed the link together with a pair of vise grips.It's difficult to get in there with a hammer and punch and a dolly behind the link.So I was thinking there has to be a tool to make it easy.But $44, I think I'll get a friend to hold a hammer behind it while I smash the pins.

To aggravate the problem, I decided to remove the link to get the timing dots closer to lining up(my dots won't align perfectly,close, but not perfect) and have beat the link up.So, now I am waiting for a new link from PNM
                            80 SG XS1100
                            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I saw a chain riviter and breaker at Walmart of all places in the bicycle section. The set was not expensive, $14 maybe?
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X