No announcement yet.

Valve seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm getting things back together.I was getting ready to drop my cam gears off at the machine shop to get them slotted when I decided to give the gears I got from Mega Cycle one more try.A couple minutes with the dremel tool and wallah!They fit!Now I have adjustable cam gears.
    Terry
    1980 special (Phyllis)
    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Terry
      You wouldn't be building a hot rod would you? LOL
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
        Well I've got a leaky valve seal in no 1.Has anyone tried pulling the cams and replacing the valve seals without pulling the head?I thought I could pressurise the cylinder and change the seals like we do on cars. Terry
        Hi Terry,
        if you really want to do this, here's a way.
        Pull the sparkplug. Feed in a length of rope. Leave a foot or so hanging out.
        Crank the engine by hand to bring the piston up to compress the rope to hold the valve tight against the head.
        Pull the camshaft. Remove the valve bucket.
        Use an automotive style spring compressor to remove the springs. Swap the seal.
        Put it all back together. Pull the rope out.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred,
          sounds good, but id remove the camshafts first otherwise
          the valves will bend.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
            Fred,
            sounds good, but id remove the camshafts first otherwise
            the valves will bend.
            Hi petejw,
            I should have been more precise.
            "back it up on the compression stroke"
            But of course you are right. Pulling the cams first lets you do the ol' rope trick regardless of what stroke the engine is on.
            However, it's a daft idea anyway, especially on an air cooled motor where there's no worries about loosing coolant.
            But he did ask.
            How much extra effort is there to pull the head and kiss the valves in once you've pulled the cams?
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
              Terry
              You wouldn't be building a hot rod would you? LOL
              It's already built I'm just adding adjustable timing cam gears.My cams are tuned to give more high rpm performance,I'm hoping to be able to fine tune things a bit. Terry
              1980 special (Phyllis)
              1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Terry,
                if you really want to do this, here's a way.
                Pull the sparkplug. Feed in a length of rope. Leave a foot or so hanging out.
                Crank the engine by hand to bring the piston up to compress the rope to hold the valve tight against the head.
                Pull the camshaft. Remove the valve bucket.
                Use an automotive style spring compressor to remove the springs. Swap the seal.
                Put it all back together. Pull the rope out.
                Good idea Fred but I couldn't figure out a way to compress the valve springs with the head on.I rigged up an air pressure fitting and pressurized the cylinder but couldn't make it work.If I was a better machinist I probably could have fabed a special tool and then have Geezer market it for me but I'm not that good. Terry
                1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
                  If I was a better machinist I probably could have fabed a special tool and then have Geezer market it for me but I'm not that good.
                  It'd be difficult to make anything that would work on just the valve spring and keepers without bending the valve face in the head. The valves are kind of fragile and you'd probably end up pulling the head and replacing some bent valves too, not just the seals. DAMHIK....

Regards,

Scott (Full XS Moron)
                  -- Scott
                  _____
                  ♬
                  2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
                  ♬

Comment

If your valve seals are that shot, chances are the valve stems and chamber are gunked up, and the seats need lapping at least. Chain may also be tired. I agree with previous posts, a few more bolts and the head is off. Do it once.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                      If your valve seals are that shot, chances are the valve stems and chamber are gunked up, and the seats need lapping at least. Chain may also be tired. I agree with previous posts, a few more bolts and the head is off. Do it once.
                      Actually the valve seals are fairly new.I replaced them when I installed the big bore kit and cams two years ago.I messed up no 1 exhaust valve seal when I installed it. Terry
                      1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Hey Terry,

I think 1 of the aussie guys made something up
                        that could compress the valve spring whilst the head was fitted
                        to the engine but i couldnt find it on here.

Would be a pity to have to pull the head
                        off for 1 valve.
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

found it,
                          was Steptoe
                          heres a link he posted

http://steptoexs11.webs.com/apps/pho...otoid=35979444

heres the post he posted on here

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ing+compressor
                          Last edited by Ken Talbot; 02-05-2010, 03:40 PM.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots

Comment

The only chemical solution to cleaning carbon I have found to work well and safely is PB Blaster. Helped a buddy with his using it.
                            Spray it down enough to soak into the carbon and let sit overnight. The carbon won't fall off but should clean easily with a very stiff nylon brush. For any flat surfaces including the piston tops, or any other spots you need to scrape a bit, use a good quality plastic putty knife. It will be hard enough to scrape the carbon off but not scratch any metal. "Lather, rinse, repeat" depending on how much carbon your dealing with. Took us 2 applications and everything was really clean. Something to do while you are working on other things.
                            I have heard of using various oven cleaners but never tried any myself. Be careful what you use and know your basic chemistry, wouldn't want the head eaten alive from the inside out.
                            Current Stable:
                            1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
                            1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
                            1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
                            1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
                            WTB:
                            1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
                            1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                              found it,
                              was Steptoe
                              heres a link he posted

http://steptoexs11.webs.com/apps/pho...otoid=35979444
                              Hi Petejw,
                              nah, that one needs the head to come off before it can work.
                              The automotive style valve tool is held down onto the rocker studs or similar so it can work from the top without pulling the head.
                              The ol' rope trick is for folks who don't have a massive high pressure air supply to hold the valve shut.
                              Leaving a water-cooled straight 6 head in place to renew valve stem seals makes economic sense especially if you are paying a mechanic to do the job.
                              The same argument don't fly for DIY on an air-cooled 4.
                              As my post said, "If you gotta do it, there is a way."
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well she's all back together.Carbon removed,valve seal,battery,new slotted cam gears and new exhaust.I ran a cold compression test just for kicks and got 155 in 1,2,3 and 160 in 4.I put about 3 to 4 deg advance on the intake cam and left the exhaust stock.On the advise of Big Daddy.He has about the same mods I do and he sprung for a dyno.She starts and runs good.It may just be my imagination but I swear I can hear way more cam at idle and even with a new battery I can hear it hit harder and turn slower when cranking.Can this small adjustment with the modified cams make that much difference?I didn't test drive tonight it was cold,dark and I was drinking beer while working on the bike.Hopefully it will be nice enough for a test drive tomorrow. Terry
                                1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Working...
                                X