• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petejw View Post
    Terry,
    If its running rich it will be more sooty
    than carbon, If the bikes running lean, it'll
    run hot causing oil to burn which causes
    carbon to buid up.
    How did you end up setting the carbs with the dj kit?
    Help me out Pete (lean runs hot causing oil to burn)Does it thin the oil out to where the oil ring can't scrape the cylinder?Or do the cylinders get so hot the oil burns when it touches them?Maybe it is running lean but I can't see any other indicators that suggest that.But I am starting to wonder if you might be onto something.

Terry
    1980 special (Phyllis)
    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Terry,
      What do your plugs look like?
      can you rev the engine cleanly to redline in gear without any
      coughing or backfire?
      Does the engine seem to run hotter or does it get noisier?
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Pete
        1.Golden brown,
        2.yes to 9 and 10k no problem
        3.No.But it does seem to run better in warmer weather.
        One thing I didn't mention I ride at 3500 to 5000 feet above sea level.

TERRY
        1980 special (Phyllis)
        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Not sure then Terry,
          all sounds sweet, the higher the altitude
          the richer the bike will run,
          maybe the carbon build up isnt as bad as you think, also when you did
          the top end did you replace the piston rings at the same time? thatll cause
          a little build up til the engine is run in.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I did the top end and big bore kit all at the same time about 2 years ago.I think I'll just get it cleaned up and try adding a little sea-foam like Todd suggested.Then I'll check it again next winter.Thanks Pete.
            1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Had you also replaced the seals then?

Also, they make a spray foam stuff for outboard engines. Carbon is a killer to a 2-stroke. With the motor running, you spray it directly into the carbs.. little by little without killing the motor. ***WARNING**** It will smoke like CRAZY!!! No really.. it will smoke like ten military grade white smoke grenades!

Anyway, you spray it in there until the can is empty.. then you shut the motor off and let it sit per the cans directions. Then you start it back up, and smoke out the whole block again for 30 minutes while it burns all that stuff out of there. It's great on the carbon... and terrible on the neighbors.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Yeah I replaced the seals at that time.Don't know if I screwed one up when I installed them or if it was a bad seal.I think it's probably my fault.Thanks for the tip on sea foam.
                1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Holy seafoam Batman

Well I tried everywhere to find some Gunzilla gun cleaner to try on the carbon.No luck!Nobody in town carries it.I also couldn't find seafoam anywhere.The only place that had it was Walmart.All carboned up parts are now soaking in seafoam.We'll see what happens.Report pending.

Terry
                  1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Day one

After soaking 24 hours I can't see any evidence of the carbon loosening up or breaking down.Will check it again tomorrow.
                    1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Keep us posted. I will be having to soak mine in a month or so and it would be nice to know what works and what doesn't. Does anyone know if there is anything in oven cleaner that would attack the metal?
                      1980 XS1100 Standard "Touring"
                      Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                      850 FD
                      Fork Brace
                      Progressive Front Springs
                      Engine Guards w/Foot Pegs
                      Oil Cooler
                      Throttle Lock
                      Uni Air Filter in Airbox

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

Comment

Tod was on the right track on cleaning carbon.

On cars I used to use ATF, and drizzle it down the carb throat. Just like Tod said there will be smoke. You will probably confuse a lot of indians from the erratic smoke signals. Another way is to put a vacuum hose in the bottle and let engine vacuum draw it in. I would do that on each cylinder while the bike is running. After that, take it out and run the snot out of it, and there shouldn't be any carbon left.

I have never heard of the stuff for boats, but I have seen the stuff GM used to sell and it looked and smelled like ATF without the red dye. I wonder if it isn't nearly the same stuff.
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

If the head is off the engine, try to warm it up a bit. Berrymans B12 Chemtool and Seafoam both work better when the metal is warm. The berrymans seems to work a little better for the removal of carbon, IMHO.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

FYI: I just saw a gallon jug of Sea Foam at the local O'Reilly's this afternoon. I didn't stop and see what the price was nor did I see (or actually look for) the spray can version.
                            -- Clint
                            1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

You can also run water through it while running and steam the carbon out.
                              It works just like Ivan described for ATF.And yea, I have smoked my whole block up with ATF.The neighbors don't like it, but hey what's more important?
                              Happy neighbors or a healthy scoot?lol
                              Rick
                              80 SG XS1100
                              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

seafoam day two

Thanks for all the tips everyone.I checked on the progress tonight and it looks as though the seafoam had started to dissolve the carbon a little.My guess is that this stuff works when used as directed.I think it's probably designed to prevent carbon buildup and remove small amounts of buildup,not remove 1/32 to 1/16 of caked on carbon.A small wire wheels on my Dremel tool made short work of things and I can start putting her back together tomorrow.I do plan to add Seafoam to fuel often and tear it down again next winter.Will report on sucess next winter!

Terry
                                1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Working...
                                X