Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vibration - grips or bar ends or risers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration - grips or bar ends or risers?

I am finding out that the XS vibrations are a little too harsh for my aging wrists. Knowing that there have been discussions in the past.

Which of 1) handle bar riser(or a new bar), 2) bar ends and 3) gel grips, is proven to work best? For an XS special, is the stock handle bar 7/8" wide? Since my handle is a little bent anyway, I am wondering if I should go for a new bar(thinking of a used Bandid bar). But, in no case, all options.
    dontlikeoc
    1981 XS1100 Special Edition
    Alhambra, CA

Gel or foam grips work well.
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

What type of bars do you have? Mine are the buckhorn style and I find that they are harder on me than most any others.
      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Mine has a either drag or a European bar from PO.
        dontlikeoc
        Alhambra, CA

Comment

Foam He is a Jolly Good Fellow....

These do well enough for me and my "Ride till the tank is dry-get off-fill it up again-repeat as necessary" style of riding.

To see in 3D: cross your eyes...

A set of deer skin gloves helps also....

Comment

Have the same as Larrym........plus a set of fully adjustable Heli-
            bars with the anti-vibration inserts that come in them. These would originally be for the early 91-95 Honda ST 1100's.........production of these for the earlier ST's stopped a few months ago, but U can keep an eye out for used on the Bay or Clist. They ARE the ultimate bar set-up for any type of ride, be it touring, sport riding, cruiser, bobber, whatever. Adjustments can be made that radical.......bit pricey even used, but well worth the bucks...
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Make sure your exhaust isn't loose, it could cause extra vibrations. Lean conditions too, JAT
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

There are two dents on the right exhaust. Could that be causing fatally unfixable vibrations?
                dontlikeoc
                Alhambra, CA

Comment

Originally posted by dontlikeoc View Post
                  There are two dents on the right exhaust. Could that be causing fatally unfixable vibrations?
                  Don't know, put the bike on the center stand and rev 'er up to the RPM range where the vibration exists, and see what you can find out. These bikes usually run pretty smooth if everything is tight and it's running right. If you have factory exhaust, check your heat shields. Bar end weights do work some to soak up some vibrations. Loose motor mounts may add to the problem too.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

If it's vibrating enough to hurt your wrists there is likely another input factor at work. check the engine mounts. They are rubber lined and like all the other rubber on the bike, they wear out. as stated check exhaust connections to the frame and make sure the engine is running smoothly.
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

A good carbs sync will kill engine vibration, too. Start with the cause.
                      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Used to be if I went for a long ride my hands would go numb. Seemed to be an issue with the bars resonating with the engine. I weighted the ends of the bars in an attempt to 'de-tune' them, and it seems to have worked - no more numb hands. You can make bar weights with a piece of 5/8" round bar stock and a bicycle innertube. To make them you just cut two 5" long pieces from the bar stock, and chamfer the ends. Cut two 6" pieces from the innertube, and oil the inside of the pieces with motor oil. Slide the innertube pieces up inside the handlebars, and then slide the 5" pieces up inside the innertube pieces. Drive them home with a hammer if needed, and you've got wieghted bars.
                        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

My opinion <snort>, Good tune-up should cure most if not all the vibration. Bar-ends if needed.
                          I personally don't like foam grips (I ride in the rain). Foam and gel grips have a larger outside diameter that is uncomfortable for me. My E has the original OEM grips. The LG has thin rubber grips similar to OEM.
                          Comfort is an individual thing, what one likes someone else may hate
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                            These do well enough for me and my "Ride till the tank is dry-get off-fill it up again-repeat as necessary" style of riding.

To see in 3D: cross your eyes...

A set of deer skin gloves helps also....
                            Ah, Grab-On grips, the only grips I've used for three decades.

Also, it is refreshing to read the comments about finding what is causing the problem - motor mounts, "tune" or "synch" - it seems these machines would be "smooth" -

Also - sorry if this was already mentioned - some people fill the bars with lead shot, reported to work very well.

I4's do tend to "buzz" at certain RPM's.....
                            Steve
                            aka: h9r, Honda919Rider

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/xs...ing/2517783158

Comment

I also will vouch for the gel grips as I use them on my XJ 750. The '80G is going to get the handlebars replaced with '78 Honda GL 1000 bars that have factory weighted ends;

The following pics show the difference between the XS11 & GL1000;(GL1000 are the ones with the knurls)

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X