Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Question

So with a liquid (Acid) filled battery, at what temperature does the liquid freeze.. or at least stop the electricity exchange between the plates? I know that the acid is more resistant to freezing than just water, but it's still going to freeze at some point.

I am still riding the bike every day to work, and even with a new battery, it's cranking pretty slow in the afternoons when I go to leave work. Today is supposed to be the coldest day so far at 9 degrees F, and I want to be able to make it back home tonight.. lol.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

a good healthy battery can survive temps well below zero. 9 degrees should not be an issue. it will turn slow because your motor oil is now like tar when its that cold. use lighter weight oil if you ride in cold weather.
    testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

What I learned (a long time ago) was that a lead-acid battery will not freeze solid unless it's discharged. The colder it gets, the slower the chemical reactions. That's the primary affect the cold has on the battery. If I were going to depend on it for extended cold weather use, I'd plug it in to the trickle charger when parking for the night.

Comment

I'm not really sure at what temp it will freeze but I think the slow crank is due to the thick oil in the crankcase. I did find this link.Maybe you can determine what it means. I never was good at graphs

http://www.cdtechno.com/custserv/pdf/7953.pdf
        Rob
        82 XJ1100
        Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
        Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Comment

The acid is like antifreeze, so a fully charged battery is good to something like -30. As the charge goes down, the freeze point goes up, and the expansion causes shorted plates and such.

Not only does the oil thicken, but the chemical reaction between the acid and plates is significantly less during colder temps, so the total amperage available is less when cold.

If you are still riding, you might get an electric battery blanket that keeps the battery a bit warm. There are also adhesive pads that fit on the oil pan for cars that helps keep the oil warm, but our pans have fins, so maybe it would have to stick on there some where else, I just can't think where right now...

Also in Alaska they have big blankets they put over the engine on airplanes to keep them war and from cooling so fast the block cracks. Of course, they don't use them in flight, but will make the engine startable after a few hours of sitting without too much fuss. So, maybe find an old sleeping bag (I think that's what they use to make those engine blankets up there) and throw over the scoot while its sitting in the cold.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

It all depends on what condition the battery is in . The charge level is important but the condition of the plates in the battery will have an effect on how well the battery stores it's power. So say a new battery fully charge can take any cold temps you could imagine down to -90f or -68c useless at those temps.

Battery in poor condition will freeze at temps as low as 28f or -2c.

So I would say your battery is okay for now but I would be careful next winter as the battery ages it's ability to operate hold a charge in lower temps will decrease .
            BDF Special
            80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
            Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

In those cold temps or any extreme temp, would there be any harm done if two batteries were connected in parallel ?
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Nope, in parallel, it will serve to up the available cranking amps. Diesel trucks do it, some with up to 8 or more connected in parallel. Even the Diesel pickups have two in parallel.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Just rig up a block heater....
                  http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    I am still riding the bike every day to work, and even with a new battery, it's cranking pretty slow in the afternoons when I go to leave work. Today is supposed to be the coldest day so far at 9 degrees F, and I want to be able to make it back home tonight.. lol.
                    Tod
                    Hi Tod,
                    a new battery with a good charge won't freeze until way below minus 40. I have started cars at that temperature.
                    But they hardly turn over at all and are extremely reluctant to start unless their block heaters have been plugged in. An electric battery blanket helps too as a battery only gives 20% or less of it's summer temperature power when it's that cold.
                    So your bike is facing a double whammy, no block heater and no battery blanket.
                    Good luck getting started tonight and watch for icy patches on the way home.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                      Nope, in parallel, it will serve to up the available cranking amps. Diesel trucks do it, some with up to 8 or more connected in parallel. Even the Diesel pickups have two in parallel.
                      I wasn't sure if that amount of amps would damage any of the electronic equipment on our bikes so my thought is keep an extra battery in your saddlebag that is kept warm in the house at night and taken in to work, where its hopefully warm, when you arrive, with the appropiate plug to give a bump to your cold one. JAT

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                        I wasn't sure if that amount of amps would damage any of the electronic equipment on our bikes so my thought is keep an extra battery in your saddlebag that is kept warm in the house at night and taken in to work, where its hopefully warm, when you arrive, with the appropiate plug to give a bump to your cold one. JAT
                        Common misconception. Having infinite amps available will not cause damage as long as the voltage remains in spec. Voltage high will cause excess current, as current is determined by resistance and voltage (think water pressure vs hose nozzle size. The smaller the nozzle the less water for a given pressure, the higher the pressure the higher the water flow). Electronic components can be damaged by almost 0 amps if the voltage is high enough, and having 10000 amps available won't do any damage as long as the voltage is correct.

As a matter of fact, fredintoon uses a car battery on his sidecar rig. It sits on the frame between the bike and the sidecar. He has had no problems with that setup.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                          Common misconception. Having infinite amps available will not cause damage as long as the voltage remains in spec. Voltage high will cause excess current, as current is determined by resistance and voltage (think water pressure vs hose nozzle size. The smaller the nozzle the less water for a given pressure, the higher the pressure the higher the water flow). Electronic components can be damaged by almost 0 amps if the voltage is high enough, and having 10000 amps available won't do any damage as long as the voltage is correct.

As a matter of fact, fredintoon uses a car battery on his sidecar rig. It sits on the frame between the bike and the sidecar. He has had no problems with that setup.
                          Wuold there be any advantage to the two battery setup for electrical accessories or would they be challenged by the weak charging system.

Comment

Don't know how hard it is to get to the battery on your XJ but have you considered those little pocket warmers? Or maybe even those stick on heat pads us old guys use when we have some muscle pain? Battery warmers take a AC power source but work really well, won't do much to help thick, cold oil though.
                            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                              Wuold there be any advantage to the two battery setup for electrical accessories or would they be challenged by the weak charging system.
                              Well, if fred doesn't have trouble with the car battery on his rig I don't think it would have trouble with two batteries. The issue with the charging system would be if you add too many accesories and have the bike drawing more than the charging system puts out. The battery is primarily a storage device to handle short periods of higher draw than the charging system and for starting the bike. Other than that the battery doesn't really put a "load" on the system.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X