Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to open up my muffler endings

Hi All,

OK, so I have a problem. I have some exhaust headers, and I was going to put my muffler onto it but they're both the exact same size around. Is there some kind of tool or something that will allow me to expand the circumference of the muffler, or do I need to take it to a machine shop?
    1980 XS1100SG
    In the process of making her look pretty!
    P.S., TomRodgers has the best avatar icon ever!

If your mufflers have are cut length wise where the clamp goes, and I'm fairly certain they are, if you try to swege them it will splt where the cuts are.

Not only that, but if it is chrome the chrome will split and crack. Chrome won't expand.

Your best bet is an adapter. A muffler shop can build you one but it's best to have both the header and the muffler there for a proper fit.

FYI.. Your muffler will sit back about 2" further with the adapter.

Comment

That makes perfect sense, I didn't know you could do that. I have a shop right around the corner from me. I'll give it a try.
      1980 XS1100SG
      In the process of making her look pretty!
      P.S., TomRodgers has the best avatar icon ever!

Comment

there is such a tool to expand pipe, BUT, [yes that is capitilized for a reason]
        it is a fickle procedure whereas the pipe to be expanded must be heated, but not too hot, then expanded and reheated, again not too hot, and repeated til proper size is reached.
        like okie said, chrome will not stretch and/or will crack and become discolored from the torch.
        all that said, just get the adapter.
        testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

Working...
        X