stripped carb drain screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripped carb drain screw

I just stripped a carb drain screw...It is of really soft alminum.

1) How can I take it out? Isnt this too soft for bolt-out to work on? ( I used WD-40 and chose the best fit philips, it still stripped)

2) Is Yamaha dealer the only place to find a replacement? Does any drain screw from any - is this Mikuni? - carb work?
    dontlikeoc
    1981 XS1100 Special Edition
    Alhambra, CA

I think MikesXS has those drain plugs assuming you can get them out. They have both the screws that go in from the side and the bolts that go in from the bottom (which is what mine have).
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer.

Is this the correct part?

Float Bowl Drain Screw with O-Ring Float Bowl Drain Screw with O-Ring - Fits: 80-84 Stock 34mm. Mikuni CV Carbs. Part #48-0778$4.00 USD Ea
      dontlikeoc
      Alhambra, CA

Comment

That looks like the ones on my 81s.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

i have recently started to use PB Blaster it is awsome i spray it on a bolt and let it set for about 10min they come right out like new. i even took my header nuts off this morning they looked horrible all rusty. i sprayed it on yesterday this morn they came right off. i would try that and a pair of vise grips to get it out. its about 4.99 a 20oz can at autozone.
          1979 xs1100sf
          custom exhaust
          dragbars
          POD filters
          re-jetted carbs

http://s903.photobucket.com/albums/a...drvs/?newest=1

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I am not sure about the vise grips. It is screwed into a recess. Did anybody try "screw out" in a similar situation?
            dontlikeoc
            Alhambra, CA

Comment

when i got my bike it already had a broken screw on one of the bowls. not the drain screw though. but i when and bought an Ez-Out it worked fine for me.
              1979 xs1100sf
              custom exhaust
              dragbars
              POD filters
              re-jetted carbs

http://s903.photobucket.com/albums/a...drvs/?newest=1

Comment

Try a dab of valve grinding compound on the screw if it isn't totally stripped out.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I wish I could remember that trick!

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                  Try a dab of valve grinding compound on the screw if it isn't totally stripped out.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

also try whacking the bolt with a hammer,
                    this will help break its seal.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. I ordered the replacement drain screw from MikeXS.

As for taking out the stripped screw, it is a little complicated. I PB Blasted it and letting it sit for now. Looked for valve grinding compound - Kraagen, Autozone dont have it. EZ out seem to require power tool, which I dont own, or I have means to supply power to in an apartment carport. I will keep whacking with a screw driver and a hammer.
                      dontlikeoc
                      Alhambra, CA

Comment

Back to Mikes

Originally posted by dontlikeoc View Post
                        Thanks for your suggestions. I ordered the replacement drain screw from MikeXS.
                        As for taking out the stripped screw, it is a little complicated. I PB Blasted it and letting it sit for now. Looked for valve grinding compound - Kraagen, Autozone dont have it. EZ out seem to require power tool, which I dont own, or I have means to supply power to in an apartment carport. I will keep whacking with a screw driver and a hammer.
                        Hi dont,
                        Mikes ain't the only source but go back there and open the "tools" section.
                        Lapping paste is item #35-0120 and the tool for getting the jammed screw out is the impact driver #35-0095.
                        No power needed, just put the cross-point bit in the tool, press the bit firmly into the screw (first placing a dab of grinding paste in the cross-point recess is claimed to help) and rap the driver with a hammer. Note the tool will drive screws IN as well as OUT so make sure it's clicked into the correct setting for removal.
                        Never mind the $19 cost, betcha that ain't the last jammed crosspoint screw you will ever need to undo, eh?
                        Last edited by fredintoon; 01-10-2010, 11:34 PM.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred,

You are right. The $5 impact driver from Harbor Freight Tools did the job. Now I dont have to worry about the carb varnishing while the bike sits.

I will get the valve lapping paste when I order something from Mikes XS in the future. I thought I looked through everywhere in the Tools section...
                          dontlikeoc
                          Alhambra, CA

Comment

Working...
                          X