Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I charge sealed battery before use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I charge sealed battery before use?

Should I charge a sealed battery before using it? The instructions says that you should start using it without charging. I have a 12V 1A rate charger I am thinking of using.
    dontlikeoc
    1981 XS1100 Special Edition
    Alhambra, CA

You should follow the instructions with the battery. I'm guessing that the sealed battery in question is shipped fully charged, and unless you have an auto floating charger made for that type of battery you might damage it trying to charge it before first use.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You should always do a trickle charge on a new battery to top it up. There's no good reason to install a battery that isn't fully charged...

Tony
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

When all else fails--read instructions!

Comment

I just installed a new SLA battery in my 79F. The battery came dry, so I had to add the acid (Interstate Batteries has a really nice 6 compartment acid tank that makes filling each cell to the proper level absolutely trivial), wait 30 minutes then charge it. In my case, I have a fairly decent electronic charger, so I was able to get it fully charged with no worries on overheating it.
          -- Clint
          1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Jat...

A digital multimeter is almost necessary and answers alot of questions when maintaining any machine...of course one has to foller 'structions
            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

The sealed battery was delivered today. Absolutely no instructions. but the body of the battery clearly says that "the initial current less than 6.6 Amp" = one third of the spec capacity. This would make me want to trickle charge it overnight anyway. (I will cover it up with a cardboard box in case the Chinese battery explodes.)

How long should I leave the charger on without overcharging? The battery capacity if 22 Amp and the claimed initial current is less than 6.6 Amp. My charger does it at 1 AMP/h. Would 16-18 hours be OK?
              Last edited by dontlikeoc; 01-07-2010, 07:36 PM.
              dontlikeoc
              1981 XS1100 Special Edition
              Alhambra, CA

Comment

Working...
              X