bad exhaust smell/small bit of black smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad exhaust smell/small bit of black smoke

ok so my family , gave me the heads up that when i got home and rolled into the driveway they smelled bad exhaust fumes. sure enough today i go start up the bike, and i go a small amount of black smoke from the right side exhaust. It was a small amount but boy oh boy it stunk up the house.When i was hit by the car i fell on the right side. also the exhaust in the rear has rattled loose4 and i cant seem to tighten it. bolt is incased in the exhaust( tried a flat head to keep it spinning but no luck.
    What you need to do is be thankful for the life you got. Stop looking at what you dont have and start being thankful for what you do have.

82 XJ 1100

The nose Knows..

Congratulations!

Black smoke is likely to be an overly rich mixture and carb/fuel related: when the bike dropped maybe a float was jarred out of adjustment or possibly some crud from the tank made it's way into a critical carb airway..

If it was blue smoke then it's likely oil burning and that would mean engine internals like valve seals, rings, etc. Way more difficult and costly to deal with.

Make sure to thank your family for giving you the heads up. I mean most times when riding those exhaust gasses are behind you. Otherwise you'd feel more light-headed after each ride.

BTW, even your best efforts will never achieve that "new car" exhaust smell: Not unless you install a catalytic converter.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcfreerider View Post
      ok so my family , gave me the heads up that when i got home and rolled into the driveway they smelled bad exhaust fumes. sure enough today i go start up the bike, and i go a small amount of black smoke from the right side exhaust. It was a small amount but boy oh boy it stunk up the house.When i was hit by the car i fell on the right side. also the exhaust in the rear has rattled loose4 and i cant seem to tighten it. bolt is incased in the exhaust( tried a flat head to keep it spinning but no luck.
      loose baffle = plugging exhaust pipe on the right side
      careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Originally posted by mxmikie View Post
        loose baffle = plugging exhaust pipe on the right side
        HUH? I'm not sure what you are saying
        What you need to do is be thankful for the life you got. Stop looking at what you dont have and start being thankful for what you do have.

82 XJ 1100

Comment

I'm Baffled Too!!

I think Mikie is referring to your right side muffler. The muffler has the outside "shiny" part you can see from the outside but it also has internal pipes as well. If your recent crash broke loose some of the internal parts of the muffler then they might be blocking the exhaust gasses as they try to get out of the bike.

Not too far fetched...I mean these bikes are old and things do rust inside. Then your recent accident would have been a serious impact which might have knocked the "baffle" (part of the inside of the muffler..) loose.

I saw and heard your video post about "WTF is this SOUND." If there were something inside the muffler blocking the right side exhaust from escaping then it would go a long way to explain why your bike makes that noise.

Next time you start your bike go to the back of the bike and place your hands near the exit hole of both mufflers: Do they feel like they're equal in strength?

If Mikie is right, I'm not gonna blow past Quartsite the next time I go to Tucson. Gotta stop in and buy this dude a cold one!!

Comment

hey so this related to my crappy mpg thread as well...
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnhQOfdsUCY
            i realized, i had noticed that the oil level was low, so i added a quart... i now realized it was on the side stand. the video, the bike ran fine despite the noise and that was after the crash....
            i read on here that idk the oil level is to high some oil might be sucked into the carbs and cause my problem, running too rich... what do you think?

82 XJ 1100

Comment

Working...
            X