rear tire changeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear tire changeover

Am about to start on a rear wheel and tire switch~~17 inch from my '79 Standard to my '81 Special, which currently has the 16 inch wheel and tire. Had been planning on doing this for some years. Seems like some years back I had located on the forum, some changes of either spacer(s), collar(s), caliper "holder" , or the triangular tension bar~~can't seem to find what I'm looking for thru a search, now. Shoulda saved it. I have all the pieces on hand from both machines. Can somebody familiar with this switch, remind me why this is not just a 'slam-dunk' changeover~~what I need to expect to run up against?
    JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
    7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Use all the spacers and caliper bracket from the Standard and everything should fit on the Special. You might have to jack the rear of the Special up a little higher to install the 17" wheel, the Special doesn't have the flip up rear fender.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

ooooh-kaaaay..............

It just seems like I remember riders on here, having problems making this switch...........; may be cuz they didn't have spacers, pieces, etc., from both machines to interchange.................(???)

My rear tire changes, over the years, in the past~~Instead of using the center stand, I've been raising rear wheel with a floor jack, and a thin board between jack and folded up center stand. With front end strapped down to a fairly secured front wheel chock.
      JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
      7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

I know Russ79 has put a 17 on a special, maybe he will chime in?
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Remember that the 17" wheel will limit you on tire selection........
          http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I did the swap on the 81 Special (Mongrel) that I used to have. You need the caliper bracket and spacers that go with the wheel do do the swap after that it's pretty easy.

Also the special has a shorter center stand and the rear wheel won't completely clear the ground when the bike is on the center stand.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
            X