Head cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head cleaning

I just installed new rings and reinstalled the cylinders.
    I was going to use a head from an 81 I bought a while back, but got to looking at it, and decided the 78 head I have will be easier to get ready since I have to disassemble whichever head I use in order to install seals.
    So I lapped a couple of the valves on the worst cylinder and I think they will clean up fine, but the exhaust ports are caked with carbon.I started chipping it out with a screw driver but am wondering if anyone has an easy solution
    to dissolving the carbon.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

I used spray gasket remover-worked pretty good-soak over nite, use popsicle stick or something like a tongue depresser to scrape out carbon. You don't want to use anything sharp!! any scratches,gouges,grooves ect. will creat hot spots in the combustion chamber. ie. possible detonation.

Comment

I've used the rounded edge of one of those 6" steel rulers to chip off carbon. One of those mini slim jim to remove tool chest drawers works good too. It's got a nice angle on it. Gotta be a bit careful on the aluminum of course. Never had any luck dissolving it tho.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

When I lapped the valves on my XS850 and cleaned the head up I used oven cleaner, it works wonderfully. I've used it in the past many times for getting engine blocks and other metal parts that had heavy build ups of grease, grime and other baked on crud. The longer you can let it sit the better it works. You can buy the cheap stuff for $1 or 2. spray it on pretty heavy. I've even gone back 2or3 hrs after the first coat and applied more. Warning! DO NOT GET ON PAINT!!!!!. unless you want to remove it as well. By the way if you do want to remove the paint it works very good on most painted surfaces and is much cheaper than the aircraft paint remover sold by Mar-Hyde.
        Rev.Rick

What I ride now: 1980 XS1100 Special

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Comment

Working...
        X