Cam tensioner bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam tensioner bolt

HI GUY'S I have stripped the thread on my cam chain tensioner but i can't get one of the bolts undone the allen key head is now round inside can i give it a wack with a cold chisel or a impact driver or will i crack the alloy? i don't have access to a oxy to heat it up or if i do break the head off the bolt how do i get the old thread out.. any help apreciated thankyou..
    JOHN'O
    Xs1100E 1978
    American Import Cruiser

You could use a dremel or similar tool to cut a slot in the bolt for a crewdriver and use an impact driver to break it free. I would start by hitting it with PB Blaster or the like. Let it soak in that for a while before you try to remove it.

If it snaps off, you could try left handed drill bits to drill it out to the minor diameter of the threads and then peel out the rest.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Screw fixing it. Replace the whole unit with a Venture XVZ1200 cam chain tensioner. You'll be glad you did...

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

If you don't switch it out as suggested your still going to have to remove it to repair it so you might as well remove the unit and work on it on the bench. Before you remove it disconnect the battery so NO accidental operation of the starter can occur while it's not installed.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Judging that he said allen head, I am thinking he is talking about the screw that holds it in. If that is stripped, it may be a surprise blessing. STOP, read the tech tips and MAKE SURE you know what you are doing when you pull the tensioner out. You will save bent valves, expense and frustration.

Once you are confident, you might try some valve lapping compound, it will give the wrench some bite. Also, a HIGH QUALITY (Snap-on) socket is the way to go. normal hex keys are so soft they deform, and then cause the screw head to deform, and everything goes bad after that.

Another trick is to get a T35 (I think) torx socket, and pound it in the head so it makes its own splines and that will catch sometimes. It has to be one that is a bit bigger than the hex. A 1/4 in drive bit for a screwdriver works well, and isn't expensive. Then use a ratchet and extension with a 1/4 socket.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Good advice from all so far but before you remove it completely take the left engine cover off ( ignition cover) and line up the "C" on the timing wheel.

This should keep the cam chain from slipping.

And, like Geezer said, find a venture automatic tensioner to replace that antiquated stock tensioner It'll bolt right on and it's set and forget.

Here's one on an ebay store for sale; http://cgi.ebay.com/85-YAMAHA-xvz120...item5884654ceb

Comment

DANGER! Will Robinson...DANGER!!!

I second Ivan's over sized "torx" suggestion. I also would like to reinforce his "cautions" about removing the CCT and upgrade it to an actual WARNING.

Even if you treat the removal of the CCT as if you were defusing a bomb, doing it very carefully without sudden motion or jarring things, the odds are 50/50 that the cam chain will drop down to the bottom of the crankshaft jumping the sprocket.

The suggested way to prevent this from happening is to remove the valve cover and apply tension to the chain from above AS you remove the CCT. This also allows you to verify that the mechanical timing marks on the camshafts and the crankshaft are correct before you turn the engine by hand or try to start it up.

I Know...I know...Right now you are wishing that it weren't so complicated but then again without those Dual overhead camshafts these bikes would be two-strokes...

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                the odds are 50/50 that the cam chain will drop down to the bottom of the crankshaft jumping the sprocket
                Larrym,
                The chain slipping shouldn't be a problem if you line up the "C" on the timing plate with the pointer as I stated before. I've had mine apart several times for different reasons and I've never had a problem.
                Just be careful and DEFINITLY don't turn the crankshaft with the tensioner removed.

Your suggestion is valid and good but IMO unnessesary.

Comment

Risk/Reward

XSokieSPECIAL,

You're right. I mean I'm not saying you're wrong to believe that one can remove the CCT without pulling the valve cover off and all that "etc."

There is not a 100% consensus among the members here about just how to proceed when removing and replacing the CCT. It's split into two camps where you and I both represent the two different options at least for the moment.

The owner has the freedom to choose between the two options depending on his own comfort level when dealing with the risks/rewards.

Thanks for representing the "other" side here. It's important that both options are presented.

Comment

Just saying.

Comment

Hadn't seen it mentioned, but whenever removing the cam chain tensioner, have the bike on the centerstand so the engine is level left to right. This will prevent the cam chain from falling off to the left of the crank sprocket. It will do this if bike is on the sidestand, and valve damage may result. DAMHIK
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

When doing an adjustment, I used to remove the tensioner, mash in the plunger and lock it there, then install the tensioner and release it.. then lock it down there after it slapped the chain. I've done it a hundred times (Or more probably) on lots of different motors without a problem.

BUT... I ran into a problem doing this with Bohn Frazer's bike. With the valve cover off and we'd taken the cams out.. I went to do this in the normal order and to put everything back in time.. then the chain adjustment like I always do, and it would jump out of time. I couldn't figure it out.. we must have re-done it half a dozen times. We finally thought we had it.. and it jumped time again and bent valves when we started it. The cam chain was making a loop at the bottom of the crank sprocket. When you applied the tensioner, it would tighten the chain against the crank sprocket.. but there would still be a loop in the bottom of the chain.

So... 99 out of 100 times, there probably won't be a problem. That 1% though, can be a PITA and a little costly. To be sure, you really need to remove the valve cover, and as you remove the tensioner, advance the exhaust cam to take up the slack chain instead of letting the slack drop to the bottom by the crank sprocket. When you re-install the tensioner and it slaps the chain, it will snap the exhaust cam back into place.

This is only a problem if the tensioner is removed, versus just a normal adjustment.

Tod
                        Last edited by trbig; 01-01-2010, 06:54 PM.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

i can mail you a Venture XVZ1200 cam chain tensioner for $37.00
                          careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

I got two off ebay for $20 shipped when I thought up the idea.
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

You know, I got mine for like $15 shipped. Just one though. Amazing how the price goes up with interest.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X