tire age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire age

After alot of deliberation I decided my replacement tires would be Dunlop K491 elite II tires due to the majority of opinions here. Now I have found out from all the mail order tire vendors that those tires haven't shipped from Dunlop since last year. If I can find a dealer with some already on the shelf, they would be one or more years old. Any problem with that?
    Robert
    79 SF

Robert, see if anyone as an F11 Dunlop. I had a new rear put on last year, (so far, very happy with it) Inquired about a front this year and was told "Oh, that's an F11. Sure, we have it in stock" Haven't got into have it installed yet, hopefully will do that tomorow. Will let you know what I find out.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

I was going to replace my rear last December and found that I couldn't get one. I kept checking at J&P Cycle & MAW every week. Both received some new ones in March. I got mine from MAW since they were cheaper. I'd keep looking unless you have to have it right away.
      #1 ’79 XS11 Special
      #2 ’79 XS11 Special
      '97 V-Max
      '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

IIRC, the standard recommended max life for tires is 5 years. If you check the code and verify the tires you find are only one year old, you will probably be okay if you also figure out you would wear them out in four or less years with your particular riding style, distance, etc. If you are a high-miler and will only get one or two seasons before they're worn out anyway, one year old at purchase doesn't matter. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try to beat the price down, say 20% for a tire that "now only has four good years left instead of five". Similarly, if you find a 2 or 3 year old tire, you might still get value for your money at the right price, expected use, etc.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Robert, my mistake. Checked mine tonight and it was a Dunlop K627, and not the K491. Will still let you know what I end up with tomorrow. Currently installed tire has lots of tread, no dry rot or surface cracking that I can find, but it's 13 years old so think it's time to get it off.
          Brian

Comment

5 years? Wow, glad I replaced mine last year. The sidewall checking was looking bad. They were at least 12 years old. Lots of tread, just a lot of checking.
            '80 XS 1100SG

Comment

I have read several posts that referred to a code on the tire, used to determine the manufacture date.
              I have yet to find this code. Can you give an example of what the number looks like?
              thanks,
              Mike
              Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

hmmm....

i just bought these tires a few months ago. they were not on the shelf but had to order them.

Comment

Originally posted by newmaac
                  I have read several posts that referred to a code on the tire, used to determine the manufacture date.
                  I have yet to find this code. Can you give an example of what the number looks like?
                  thanks,
                  Mike
                  Here's one thread on tire dates:Tire date Pretty sure there is more, but this pretty much explains it.
                  Brian

Comment

Yeah what Brian said, I just got the link, and came back to post it and it was already here.
                    Gary Granger
                    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Thanks Folks
                      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Working...
                      X