My First XS 1100 *PICS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First XS 1100 *PICS*

So a buddy at work was selling his 1100 for $300 with a bunch of parts, so figured, what the heck. So now I own one.

The bike starts up ok, but is missing a couple of things (switches, etc). It does have a problem idling, and seems to die after a little while. But drives nonetheless. It also won't go into 2nd gear...

Heres all he gave me, do you think it was an ok deal?

What might this all be worth?? Thanks guys!

It looks like it could be a good deal, but it is going to take some work. If you plan on riding it, then don't sell anything yet. If you plan on parting it out, then by all means document the mileage, and parts, and take pictures. What year is it? The PO probably had trouble with the trans and carbs, but if you read on this forum, you can find the answer to about anything on this bike. These are a great bunch of people on here, and will help to get you on the road safe. For sure you want to check fluids, brakes, tires, and anything else you can think of before riding it much.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Cool thanks,

Yeah, i changed the oil, bled the brakes, etc. The tires are just about new.

The title says its a 1980 XS1100

Comment

No, it's not worth it.Where do you live?I'll come get it out of you're way.

Actually, if that exhaust cleans up well, you could probably get $300 out of just
        that.
        Nice buy.It looks like a great winter project.
        And welcome to XS11.
        Rick
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by KrenzyRyan View Post
          Cool thanks,

Yeah, i changed the oil, bled the brakes, etc. The tires are just about new.

The title says its a 1980 XS1100
          Hi Ryan,
          Looks like a good one to me. You have enough of the "correct currency" with your spare parts collection. As suggested already keep everything until you have yours running properly. Then trade for what you need. Check the Tech tips for soluions to the problems you are experiencing following with specific questions for the gurus on here who will help you trouble shoot further if the tech tips do not cover your situation.
          Happy New Year
          Maxim Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Pass Go: Collect $200.00

I figure that any XS1100 which rolls down the road under its own power is worth $500.00. According to that you are already $200.00 ahead.

That parts cache is a really nice resource of spares to have on hand and adds even more Monetary value. With these bikes "parts and smarts" is key to ending up with a ridable/safe machine.

Looks like you've got a dry place to get-a-wrenchin' too.

Don't fail to utilize the "Info", "Tech Tips", and "FAQ" sections of the site here: Common Problems and the innovative solutions are presented. Many times these sections give you a heads up before you tackle a task.

The second gear problem is not a "dealbreaker" as far as I'm concerned. The diagnosis/repair steps are here on the site for your viewing pleasure....

Welcome to the world of SUPERBIKE ownership.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the info everyone.

tarzan, I'm actually out in Queen Creek, AZ...a bit far from Washington lol.

And yes, it is very dry here in AZ, and actually very warm for this time of year lol. I think it was around 70 degrees today...

I thought this would be a cool project, but with the next semester rolling around quickly, I don't know if I am going to have all the time I wanted to in order to work on it...

We'll see. Again thanks for the info and a warm welcome

edit: as for the exhaust, take a closer look at the end, near the castle nut for the rear axle (rear picture) they are dented in pretty deeply...

Comment

Originally posted by KrenzyRyan View Post
                as for the exhaust, take a closer look at the end, near the castle nut for the rear axle (rear picture) they are dented in pretty deeply...
                They are supposed to be that way, believe it or not.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Welcome and nice start.

You might want to get to member CatatonicBug link to his website. He has all of the XS11 manuals in pdf. format. It will save you a bunch of grief.

Rodger
                  RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Looks like a good start.
                    You may already have the trans fix in your parts pile.
                    XS1100SF
                    XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
                      Looks like a good start.
                      You may already have the trans fix in your parts pile.
                      That's what I was thinkin' too. I was just wondering if it won't Go into
                      2nd or it won't STAY in 2nd.

Two different problems.

Could be if it won't go it's a bent shift fork, but if it won't stay it's the problem with the dogs.

Right?

Comment

Hey KrenzyRyan,
                        I used to live in Phoenix for about 10 years.Back in the 80's.
                        Also swmbo is from there and we go once a year to see family.
                        I will be there in April.I love the weather there.
                        Ride safe. Rick
                        80 SG XS1100
                        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Krenzy,

If that is the original tank, you got a 1978 model, the first year.

Yes, you got a good deal. Those parts alone will get your money back on Fleabay. But I would follow the recommendations to keep them until you get it like you want it.

Some day when you finish school and become that well rounded all american scholar you might want to take the time to really bring it back from the grave.

I bought my 78 for $500 with some spare parts. The engine was out of the frame, but most of the stuff was there.

Here it is before.

Here is where it is now.

So have fun with it, but be careful...parts add up really fast
                          My heros have always been flat trackers.

Comment

Working...
                          X