Re-assembly advise part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-assembly advise part 2

O.K. so I read the thread about Carby cleaning, what a great resourse, I pulled apart the carb's and they had a fair bit of GRUNG/Brass rust in them.
    I pulled out the jets,floats, needs/seats etc and placed them in a glass jar, which I sprayed Carby cleaner a swirled it about to clean the parts, the cleaner changed colour quite quickly, my problem is that I used the Carby cleaner on the outer carbys and all the black paint on the carbies is starting to fall off!!!! WTF is going on, what is the cure??

Lou 81RH

You basically stripped off the paint so now its time to repaint. I dont know how you clean the carbs with paint on them but i know that a carb cleaner or a brake cleaner is too powerful and will strip paint off alot of things. Although those cleaners are awesome, be careful what you spray them on.

Im kinda scared to paint my carbs so youll have to ask somone else how to paint them.
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Comment

Originally posted by beemeerr11 View Post
      - - - my problem is that I used the Carby cleaner on the outer carbys and all the black paint on the carbies is starting to fall off!!!! WTF is going on, what is the cure??
      Lou 81RH
      Hi Lou,
      What's going on is that the carb cleaner cannot differentiate between the crud inside your carbs and the paint on the outside so it's dissolving the lot.
      What to do?
      You'll need to get the rest of the paint off anyway so shove 'em back in the jollop until the paint is all removed.
      Me, I'd just clean them up and run them naked.
      If shiny carbs offend your aesthetic sense, repaint them with fuel-proof paint being real careful not to get any in any of the holes & passages.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

You'll need to get the rest of the paint off anyway so shove 'em back in the jollop until the paint is all removed.
        NOT GOOD for the shaft seals. If you're going to soak the bodies, you'll have to completely disassemble the bodies. That just so happens to make the painting go easier, too.

Comment

My carbs looked like hammered dog sh!t when i pulled them off. Used a tip posted on this site to clean them. Its called a soda blaster. use an air compressor spray attachement (with metal straw about 4"-6" long) and get yourself some 3/8"o.d. vinyl tubing about 3' long. slice the top of the vinyl hose about 1/2 way thru...shove the air wand in, stick the end of the tube into a bag of baking soda, set the compressor to 90 lbs. and blast away!!! worked wonders. AND the soda disolves completely with a bit of water and cleans right up!!!

before and after photo's..... not motorcycle carbs, but same difference!!!

After getting them that clean, i used progressively finer grit paper to "polish" the bowls and areas i could reach.... i still hafta get a pic of MY finished carbs, but they look a world better than what they did when i took'em off!!!
          '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
          Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
          4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
          Windjammer(wiring issues)
          SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
          New paint/brakes to come!!
          ===============
          '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
          ===============
          '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
          Stock Pilots/125 mains
          Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
          SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
          LED Brake Lite
          Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            NOT GOOD for the shaft seals. If you're going to soak the bodies, you'll have to completely disassemble the bodies. That just so happens to make the painting go easier, too.
            Hi Randy,
            you are absolutely right. How foolish of me not to remember that.
            Er, Lou, if you have already had your carb bodies soaking in carb cleaner the carb cleaner may well have knackered up the butterfly shaft seals.
            2 options:-
            Hope and pray the seals are still OK.
            Or
            Look up the difficult procedure of removing the butterflys and order new butterfly retaining screws along with the new seals as you have to grind the rivetted-over tails off the old screws to get them out.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

And be prepared to replace your carbs after you totally, completely and irrevocably destroy them trying to get those damn butterflies off.

DAMHIK.

Happy New Year.

Patrick
              The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
              1969 Yamaha DT1B
              Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Randy,
                you are absolutely right. How foolish of me not to remember that.
                Er, Lou, if you have already had your carb bodies soaking in carb cleaner the carb cleaner may well have knackered up the butterfly shaft seals.
                2 options:-
                Hope and pray the seals are still OK.
                Or
                Look up the difficult procedure of removing the butterflys and order new butterfly retaining screws along with the new seals as you have to grind the rivetted-over tails off the old screws to get them out.
                Hey Fred,
                I only used the pressure pack to clean the carby's, and some of the paint came off, some looks like what I'd call CROWS FOOT (all wrinkled look) and other bits are O.K, but did soak the jets and internals in liquid, and it ruined the rubber seals on the seat.
                For the rest of the jbb I used wax and grease remover and it seems to have worked O.K.

Cheers

Lou 81RH

Comment

That little mini bead blaster, er...soda blaster, looks cool. I missed that on on the post board, but will have to try
                  My heros have always been flat trackers.

Comment

Once upon a time I dipped my carbs in carb cleaner and the seals did swell. Dabbed a little brake fluid on them and they shrunk back down and have been working fine since then.

Darrell
                    Darrell
                    78E
                    80G project
                    06FJR

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
                      And be prepared to replace your carbs after you totally, completely and irrevocably destroy them trying to get those damn butterflies off.

Patrick
                      Ah, c'mon Patrick, you're supposed to at least give him the hint about the ends of the butterfly screws being mushroomed over to prevent them coning loose, how you can remove the mushroom with a dremel tool, then use a dab of loctite blue (not red) to retain the screws when you reassemble. Oops - maybe that's too much of a hint?
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                      X