Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reassembly advise.

Hi,
    Well all is painted and the reassembly is taking place, but it has been nearly 6 months since I pulled the bike apart, was wondering if anyone can tell me if there are any flat washers that should be in the bolt that goes through the rear of the engine that also supports the foot pegs and the foot peg bracket?
    I had everything tie wired so things wouldn't get lost, and cannot find any washers left over, and I didn't want to tighten them until I'm sure.

I'm hoping that in the next few days I can post pictures of the finished product, even more so looking forward to riding it, as I havn't ridden it since I bought it back in June?

Cheers and Thanks

Lou 81 RH

On my '80G there is no washers anywhere on that assembly. The bolt head & the self-locking nut are the washered type though. Also mine gets torqued to 72 ft.-lbs. HTH
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
      On my '80G there is no washers anywhere on that assembly. The bolt head & the self-locking nut are the washered type though. Also mine gets torqued to 72 ft.-lbs. HTH
      Hi Schming,

Sure does help, much appreciated.

Lou

Comment

This doesn't show any washers. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Look to be made onto the bolt itself.

Same for the back motor mount. Only the bushings there.
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
          This doesn't show any washers. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Look to be made onto the bolt itself.

Same for the back motor mount. Only the bushings there.
          What better advise can be given, and a quick response!!! This site rocks

Lou 81RH

Comment

Lou,

Your bike is the same as the European Sport and it has been noticed many times before that you will snap the aluminium foot rest bracket if you crank down on the engine mounting bolt and there is any gap down there (if not immediately then over time they break).

Here is a picture to show what I mean.. I had to add two washers on mine to fill the gap. One on the other side.

The boys are correct that the Fiche shows nothing, but if you want to save your foot peg brackets you would do well to shim out any gaps with washers. The right hand bracket particularly is known to snap very easily.

'84 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Shappers View Post
              Lou,

Your bike is the same as the European Sport and it has been noticed many times before that you will snap the aluminium foot rest bracket if you crank down on the engine mounting bolt and there is any gap down there (if not immediately then over time they break).

Here is a picture to show what I mean.. I had to add two washers on mine to fill the gap. One on the other side.

The boys are correct that the Fiche shows nothing, but if you want to save your foot peg brackets you would do well to shim out any gaps with washers. The right hand bracket particularly is known to snap very easily.

Hi Shappers,
              Much appreciated advise, are you putting in 2 washers? Is that how I see it? and is it 2 per side or only one side? I had a feeling it just wasn't correct, but that is how it came apart!!!

Regards

Lou 81RH

Comment

Reassembly advise part 2

O.K. so I read the thread about Carby cleaning, what a great resourse, I pulled apart the carb's and they had a fair bit of GRUNG/Brass rust in them.
                I pulled out the jets,floats, needs/seats etc and placed them in a glass jar, which I sprayed Carby cleaner a swirled it about to clean the parts, the cleaner changed colour quite quickly, my problem is that I used the Carby cleaner on the outer carbys and all the black paint on the carbies is starting to fall off!!!! WTF is going on, what is the cure??

Lou 81RH

Comment

Carb cleaner eats paint, especially if they were not clear coated with a good quality clear. Only cure I know is to wash off the carb cleaner, repaint and put on some good clear.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Yep, I shimmed up the rear motor mount on my Special too. I used whatever amount of washers that was necessary, 1 on the left, 2 on the right IIRC. YMMV
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

May I correct myself please...

As I was mocking up the new footpegs on the '80G today low and behold I do have washers, one in each side as shown in the following pics;

I apoligize for any inconvenience I may have caused. I couldn't see them the other day as they were touched up with black paint. I've decided to change the pegs to XVZ Venture pegs with Special chrome brackets as seen here;

Also my washers measure 2.51mm in thickness as seen here;

HTH
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

As I was mocking up the new footpegs on the '80G today low and behold I do have washers, one in each side as shown in the following pics;

I apoligize for any inconvenience I may have caused. I couldn't see them the other day as they were touched up with black paint. I've decided to change the pegs to XVZ Venture pegs with Special chrome brackets as seen here;

Also my washers measure 2.51mm in thickness as seen here;

HTH
                        I went and added washers either side.

Thanks once again.

Lou 81RH

Comment

Working...
                        X