Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Foam

No, not Seafoam...........

I noticed the foam seems to be deteriorating under the seat cover, which is still in great condition.
    I want to get it replaced before it causes any rips or tears in the cover. And, hopefully, improve my RBBC.*

Any recommendations on new foam?
    I will likely do the work myself, because I'm cheap that way.

*Range Before Butt Cramps
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

My buddy was re-doing a bus. They make a high density foam for the seats that you may try. I would think any bigger upholstery shop may have it. It came in pads several feet by different thicknesses, but I saw a 6 inch that would probably work. 3M makes a glue that works on foam on headliners and such that would glue it back to the seat. Then take an electric knife to shape.

OR... crush up some styrofoam cups ya cheap azz.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
      ...They make a high density foam for the seats that you may try. I would think any bigger upholstery shop may have it. It came in pads several feet by different thicknesses, but I saw a 6 inch that would probably work. 3M makes a glue that works on foam on headliners and such that would glue it back to the seat. Then take an electric knife to shape...Tod
      My neighbour is an upholsterer and thats exactly what he did with my seat a couple of weeks ago, only difference is I had him put in a gel pad insert under the cover.

My wife uses a gel pad blanket under her horse saddle and its made up from several small pads that are 150mm square and about 20mm thick. I "claimed" one of these and had it inserted directly under the butt area of the seat. I didnt see him do it but he tells me he used a higher density foam than normal directly under that area so the gel pad wouldnt simply sink into the foam.

I haven't got pictures of it being done and I haven't ridden with it yet (still waiting on new forks to arrive from Andreas) but it feels great to sit on so far.

Should be great for your RBBC.
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

soft seat

hi all ! after a day of riding i wound up with i sore butt,, and promised myself to fix that ,,ibought a gel pad and had my seat sculped down and the gel pad inserted;; thank god i now ride in comfort, you can,t ride and enjoy it in pain;;so get your seat in order;; ride safe and in comfort ;;slow mo!!
        The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
        moemcnally@hotmail.com
        i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

I have read that the gel inserts get hot and stay hot in the well hot weather
          http://greatdaytoride.com/FAQ.html
          This place might be worth a try. Not too bad a price either.
          http://www.day-long.com/
          These are nice but pricey.
          http://billmayersaddles.com/BMS/Home.html
          Here's one more. HTH
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I thought about bubble wrap

Anyone have experience with these guys? http://buttbuffer.com/info5.asp

They don't list XS11 but do have CB750 listed. I expect they would be similar.

I thought I read where that "Great Day" guy said he wouldn't do old bikes anymore.

I think the insert is the way to way to go, however.

I can't see paying $4-500 for a seat.

I'd rather have the spend for big bores or suspension.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

Well.. leave it alone and ride the thing then. A bottle of Motrin is cheap! Remember the old Chevy pickup seats? They weren't real comfortable until that padding was gone and you were sitting on the springs with a towel thrown over them. So.. when you wear it down to seat pan, or you start sitting low enough to where those long-azz legs are bumping the handlebars, throw in some bubble wrap and go hit some bumps. *Pop pop pop..

I'm not kidding about the long legs.. or arms. Dan isn't that far removed from the Simian family. We were working on his bike one night. We were on one side of it and his pliars or something were on the ground on the other side of the bike. The guy stands up, bends over the bike, reaches down, and grabs the tool on the ground on the other side of his bike! Go ahead.. you try it! lol.

I'm gettin' so fat, I can barely pick one up that's at my feet any more..

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

Not my fault you have those little short T-Rex arms!
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

All I can say is... keep those limbs outta my way when it's time to eat, or we'll be calling you Stubby.

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
                    Anyone have experience with these guys? http://buttbuffer.com/info5.asp

They don't list XS11 but do have CB750 listed. I expect they would be similar.

I thought I read where that "Great Day" guy said he wouldn't do old bikes anymore.

I think the insert is the way to way to go, however.

I can't see paying $4-500 for a seat.

I'd rather have the spend for big bores or suspension.
                    Hi Dan, I just sent pics of my seat to
                    http://greatdaytoride.com/FAQ.html
                    and inquired about the Two Section LD Supracor Mod. I'll post results as soon as I get them. Also there is a butt buffer dealer about 35 minutes North of me that I will call just to compare. Those others are too expensive for me. I also saw somewhere that someone makes those beaded mats to fit Your seat sections but you could probably cut one from a car and make Your own JAT HTH
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                    X