Throttle housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle housing

I have searched on this site and can't find a good thread about a throttle housing with no buttons, just the the throttle housing.

I would really appreciate any help in finding this.

Thank you,
    Eric

I don't think you'll have much luck finding a 'plain' throttle assembly off a street bike. They're available for Harleys, but those use 1" bars so you'd have a bunch of adapting to do. I've seen 'universal' units from JCW but quality may be suspect, but others may sell something similar. For cheap, try looking for an off-road application; a dirt bike or quad may yield up something that will fit our 7/8" bars. Or as a worst case, you could tig weld the holes closed on the stock piece, or use this stuff: shttp://www.muggyweld.com/tuff to fill the holes. Note that this can't be powdercoated as it's melting point is too low.

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by EricNW View Post
      I have searched on this site and can't find a good thread about a throttle housing with no buttons, just the the throttle housing. - - -
      Hi Eric,
      if what you need is a plain ol' 7/8" twistgrip, try looking for a site that sells British bike stuff. Be careful of dirtbike twistgrips, they tend to have large diameter cable spools for real quick throttle opening. You may not want this feature.
      Last edited by fredintoon; 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Will this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-8-T...#ht_4173wt_939

Comment

You'll probably have to do some monkey-motion for the cable connection or replace the cable, but other than that, yeah....

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

What kind of "monkey-motion" are we talking about here? Just the way that it fits in the housing or what?

Comment

Hi EricNW, That one looks like it will work but You may want to ask the seller for your particular application. Only problem I see is the end of Your throttle cable may not exactly fit into the stay on the twist grip which probably can be easily modified to work. HTH
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

so the housing fits and mates up to the cable great...except instead of the clip on the stock housing it came with a screw adjustment.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to fix the cable at the throttle housing end.

Any suggestions would be excellent.

Comment

so the housing fits and mates up to the cable great...except instead of the clip on the stock housing it came with a screw adjustment.
                  So now I'm trying to figure out how to fix the cable at the throttle housing end.
                  Any suggestions would be excellent.
                  Hi Eric,
                  I'm guessing you bought the twistgrip you posted the link to and you are trying to attach the stock XS11 throttle cable to it?
                  The cable inner fits the twistgrip barrel OK but the outer just sits there and there's nowhere to attach the keeper plate?
                  If yes & yes, more questions.
                  Does the end of the cable outer fit into the recess in the twistgrip's threaded adjuster?
                  If yes, fine; if no, drill the adjuster so it does.
                  Now, those generic twistgrips rely on the carbs' cable return spring to keep the cable tight.
                  You should be OK like that.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thank you for the great answer.
                    Considering I changed the bars do I need to potentially get a shorter cable so the it will hold tension?

Comment

Working...
                    X