Cold start throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
    I have just been using the tach on the bike. I dont have any other type to set it with right now. Gives me something to think about for sure.
    Try setting it a little bit fast according to the tach and see if that makes a difference.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

IIRC,

A very knowledgeable person(not me) posted about how these engines would NOT idle with the butterflies completely closed!? The main idle screw adjusts all of the butterflies slightly open. We have instructed folks NOT to open their throttles too much when trying to start due to the DROP in vacuum that occurs when they are too open, but they need to be open a little to allow enough flow of air to make the venturi effect work to draw the fuel up thru the jets. The starter jet bypasses the main jet, but like you have said it seems to need a little more air to let it catch/start, so opening the butterflies= increasing the idle speed a touch makes some sense!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I checked it out today with two other tachs. Both digital and all three are showing idle speed warm at 1100 rpm. The butterflies are slightly open but not much. Clortune shows good throughout the range but plug color is slightly darker than I like. Still, more of a brown than tan color on the plugs. I guess I have to pull them dang carbs off and go through them again. Maybe I need to change the float height to about 26mm if carbs checks out as clean. Any thoughts on that?
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Maybe I need to change the float height to about 26mm
          I've got 79 carbs on my 80 and I had to set the floats at 27.5 to get it to run right without flooding or running extremely rich.

I'm still not getting the mileage I should and I'm running straight through baffles.

Viton tipped float valves and plastic floats is what I'm thinking of doing.

I think the brass on brass float valves and the brass floats are the problem with todays gas/ethanol.

My $.02

Comment

Working...
          X