79 Carbs on a 81 XS1100SH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 Carbs on a 81 XS1100SH

Can any one tell me if I can use 79 carbs on my 81 XS11SH Special.
    81 XS1100SH Special
    80 Honda CBX Supersport

Yes, you can. The 79's bolt right up, they have 2 xtra vent lines on them that hook to the ports on your air box. The ports must be drilled out first, no biggie. Just be careful if you re-jet, as the 79's use much larger mains than the 81 type. HTH
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

79 Carbs on a 81 XS1100SH

Thanks, about the jetting being larger do you mean the actual size of the jet that screws into the carb or the internal size is larger?
      81 XS1100SH Special
      80 Honda CBX Supersport

Comment

Originally posted by Dman11 View Post
        Thanks, about the jetting being larger do you mean the actual size of the jet that screws into the carb or the internal size is larger?
        Internal size. Example: 81 carb might have 120 mains, but the 79 would have 145.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

So are you say I am going to be rich and should perhaps go to a smaller jet size?
          81 XS1100SH Special
          80 Honda CBX Supersport

Comment

So are you say I am going to be rich and should perhaps go to a smaller jet size?
            Sorry to confuse you, bro. The 79 carbs should have what jets it needs or close in them already. They'll work no problem, jets are cheap $3 apiece. There is a good guide on here somewhere to help you jet to your configuration.

Oh wait, here it is...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=382
            Last edited by bikerphil; 12-24-2009, 09:03 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Can any one tell me if I can use 79 carbs on my 81 XS11SH Special.
              I've got 79 carbs on my 80 and they work fine. I had to lower the floats a bit under stock settings to keep it from flooding but they work great.

Easier to adjust too.

Comment

Thanks, that helps me out. As far as drill out the airbox for the extra carb vent hoses, is there any diagram or pictures of the airbox so I can see where I have to drill. I just got the bike and in the process of learning about what make this machine tic. So please bear with me.
                81 XS1100SH Special
                80 Honda CBX Supersport

Comment

On the top of the airbox, there are three plastic fittings that point toward the engine. The large one is for the breather, and the two small ones are the vents for the earlier engines. Just drill out the vent with a 1/8" bit, and you are ready to go.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Again thanks, that works for me. I am going to start working on the bike in the new year and this info will come in very handy I am sure.
                    81 XS1100SH Special
                    80 Honda CBX Supersport

Comment

Working...
                    X