choke detent spring and ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choke detent spring and ball

Merry Christmas all! I have a problem with my newly aquired XS1100. Apearently after receiving some enlightenment from another member on this sight, I need the choke rod detent ball and spring. Does anyone know where I can purchase these, It's a real pain having to hold the choke lever until it warms up enough to release.
    Rev.Rick

What I ride now: 1980 XS1100 Special

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Originally posted by Rev.Rick View Post
    Merry Christmas all! I have a problem with my newly aquired XS1100. Apearently after receiving some enlightenment from another member on this sight, I need the choke rod detent ball and spring. Does anyone know where I can purchase these, It's a real pain having to hold the choke lever until it warms up enough to release.
    Personally, I would go to the local auto repair garage and ask for their spare parts from rebuilding carbs way back in the day. When I used to do that, I always had some small miscellaneous stuff left over, since one kit would fit 1300 different styles of quadra jet. If you find the right shop with an old tech that likes to horde things like plastic caps, "Cause you never know when you might need one" you'll be set.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

an old tech that likes to horde things like plastic caps, "Cause you never know when you might need one"
      HEY,
      I resemble that remark

Comment

Rick - you can get the parts at bikebandit if you can't find them elsewhere. The spring's around $6 and the ball bearing is a couple bucks IIRC.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Reverand Rick,

Here is my Christmas Gift to you

Read this thread: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24997 Fast forward to the last post for the quick answer.

If you don't have an ACE Hardware store, try finding one that sells nuts and bolts.
          My heros have always been flat trackers.

Comment

Hey Masher, the ball would be one thing to find, the spring is the tough thing I would think. You know, come to think of it, this might be one of those springs that could be found in a ball point pen. That was how I fixed my brake light switch anyway.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Very possible to use the old ball point pin trick

I didn't have to locate a spring because only the ball was missing. However, ACE has a pretty good selection of springs as well.

Comment

Heck, his spring may still be in there too. Never know, the ball is the piece that goes flying.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for all the help Gents. After reading the posts I went out and looked at my choke rod again. The first time I looked at it I didn't see the detents in the rod. I am a pack rat of sorts and always hang on to things like carb kits after I used what I needed (they usually come with more than you need). I have actually removed the rod yet so I'm not sure whether the springs there or not, but with all these helpful sujjestions I'm sure this will be an easy fix. Thanks!
                  Rev.Rick

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Comment

and in the mean time you can always place a clothes peg
                    to hold the choke open till you get it sorted.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I went to Ace hardware looking for a 1/8" ball bearing and they didn't have any that small, so I took apart anything I had laying around the garage that might have one that would work i.e. fishing reels, old ignition switches, even an old broken ratchet I had but no luck (It was however a good way to get rid of some junk I'd been hangin on to). I bit the bullet and ordered some from my local Yamaha stealer. They will be here around the first of the year. This gives me time to do some other things while I have the carbs off.
                      Rev.Rick

Comment

Rev Rick,

If you have trouble getting the ball from your dealer, send me an email and I will mail one to you. I should have thought of it earlier that I have extras in a box somewhere.

Comment

Bicycle shop should have some...
                          Richard

Comment

A trick I've used when working on things with small parts that could be easily lost during disassembly or assembly is to mount magnets along the edge of my work benches, then when I'm working on something I open the top drawer a little so anything I drop or goes flying has a good chance of being caught on one the magnets or landing in the drawer. It saves a lot of looking.
                            Fastmover
                            "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                            lion". SHL
                            78 XS1100e

Comment

Thanks Mashermoto! If the Stealership doesn't come through I'll give you a PM. I went ahead and ordered a new spring as well. The bearing was 59 cents, the spring was $9 Wow! proud of those little things ain't they! I also see I have some people of like mind on here. I have 2 large magnets I robbed from an old stereo. They weigh about ten pounds each but they could raise the Titanic! They have saved my hyde more than once.
                              Rev.Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X