Headlight bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight bracket

Has anyone used this the headlight bracket from Mike's XS (Part #09-0013 or Part #09-0020) on a Special with stock turn signals?

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-77.html#products
    Dave
    1979 XS1100SF Special

Unless I'm mistaken, XS11's have 37mm forks, so the 35mm variety probably won't work. The adjustable ones might, but I don't know for sure.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by lakecountrydave View Post
      Has anyone used this the headlight bracket from Mike's XS (Part #09-0013 or Part #09-0020) on a Special with stock turn signals?

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-77.html#products
      Hi Dave,
      like Doug sez, maybe. The wraparound band will be ~1/4" further open as it's stretched around a 2mm bigger fork tube so you'd need a longer bolt and perhaps need to bend the end tag round a bit.
      The Tomassellis would work with a piece of inner tube replacing the rubber bushings and the cast ones would work by being bored out to 37mm diameter but they'd be kinda thin-walled.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks guys! I have seen similar "universal" mount brackets at several internet retailers, and assumed that they were all the same. My bad I can use Fredintoon's advise and use a longer bolt, or purchase a set that goes up to 38mm which many of the sets I've found say they are for.

The part that I was originally questioning is if the 11mm hole is large enough to use with my turn signals. I have a 79 Special with the rectangular ends and grommet between the stalk and mounting bolt. Unfortunately, my bike is in my buddies garage in WI while I am now living in IL so I cannot measure it. Maybe, I was actually lucky as I never even thought that the fork tubes would be an issue. I intend on using my stock headlight bucket if that makes a difference.
        Dave
        1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Never mind! I do not know what I was thinking. I realized that my turn signals are in my box of freshly painted parts. They don't have a rectangular end on them. I think that there is a grommet with a rectangular hole on it that is used with the rear turn signals. Just a guess, but I kind of recall needing a new one as one is ripped. I will have to look next time I gaze upon my mostly disassembled bike. Thank you guys for your help I sure am glad that you brought up the possibility of a problem at the other end (forks).
          Dave
          1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Hey Dave,

Watch on Fleabay and you can pick up a set of the stock headlight ears with the gromets and proper rubber gromets and metal caps for not alot more than you would pay Mikes XS for those pieces (factoring in shipping).

I just got a pristine set for my project bike. I got them for $15 with $8 shipping.

Now a word of advice if you never installed them before, loosen the top triple tree retainign bolt and pinch bolt so the top tree will raise up to let them slip into place. Could save you about 30-45 minutes and quite a few swear jar penalties!! DAMHIK.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

DGXSER,

Thanks for the good advise. I had know idea that you could install the ears without removing the top triple tree. Unfortunately, I think need to pull it off to install the name plate cover thing. I took to long painting he frame and other parts. So, I had to rush putting her together enough to transport her to my buddies. Wish me luck on not destroying the fresh paint on the triple tree

Now I need to decide aesthetically which looks better. The black universal or the stock chrome?
              Dave
              1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

I just finished the entire process with my project bike. I had the forks out completely so I had loaded them in thinking I could get the ears/ brackets in with both triples in place. It did not work well for me like that. I loosened the bolt and pinch bolt as stated and let the top tree float up to get the brackets in place, then slid the forks up.

You definitely need the cover on before the brackets though, they sit on it. Good luck with it!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                X